The Olympic Spirit: "Stick With It"

cynthisizer
My coach always said, “Stick with it”, and although it may sound simple, this line, in a game of lacrosse, gave us the power to keep pushing ourselves, even when we were a margin away from defeat. Because I am also an athlete, I understand how it feels to put in hard work and strive towards a goal, and like those that are competing, I also understand the pressure to do well in order to win. During lacrosse season, I gained the discipline to “stick with it” and reach my goal by training myself to continue running even when my body felt like it could no longer function. Because I could not ignore the growing cramp in my stomach, I gave myself strength by telling myself that I needed to prove that I was worth it. I told myself that walking was not an option, and I was able to push through and run farther than I had originally intended. Evidently, I was able to “stick with it” because I stuck with my original goal and accepted no excuses from my body. Additionally, to win in a lacrosse game, I need more than the ability to run long distances and catch a ball; I need to have more than skill... I need to have confidence and stamina. To do well, it is necessary to know that I am capable of executing all the movements and be able to continue running alongside my teammates even after I get trampled. If applied to the Olympic Games, the quote from my lacrosse coach would resemble the sayings of “never give up” and “believe in yourself”. I relate the confidence and stamina in me and fellow lacrosse players to those competing in the Olympic Games, because obtaining these traits while participating in these events define the Olympic Spirit. The Olympic Spirit requires for a person to obtain courage so that others watching can believe in the competitor like how the competitor believes in himself/herself. The Olympic Spirit forces the person to let go of all their weaknesses so that they can be strong enough to recover even after they are dead tired and in pain. The Olympic Spirits unites all athletes because we want the feel of victory, and this victory cannot be achieved unless the person has high self-esteem and can endure all the struggles they face while training or while in the games. Therefore, those that have confidence and stamina and are able to “stick with it” until the end embody the Olympic Spirit.