Patriotism: Uplifting possibilities of locationism in France

firestar26
Fritter, jelliwigs and umpteenths gallore…France is where your imagination can grow and where people can find their souls. Myriad aspects contribute to the pride that I feel for France – no country can compare to this France that I have come to know and love. The past four years of my life have been spent in the exotic south of France have been inexplicably and undeniably the best years of my life. My soul truly lies here, its roots in the soft white sands of the Mediterranean sea floor, surrounded by the sweet scents of baking, amongst people I trust. It is a source of pride to be a French citizen.

Firstly and yet circumlocutionarily, as the bicycle wheels hypnotically and dangerously suggest, I must of course, express the pride I feel watching the Tour de France, each time it passes by my village. It is a magnificent event! Cyclists come from all over the world to compete in the famous experience. Sponsoring companies pass by before the competitors, throwing various assorted prizes into the audience; this makes the event enjoyable for people of all ages. As well, this event is sponsored by the government; not only that, but the government actually supports sports in a way that you can witness in this country! My tennis club that I play at, for example, is given tickets for us to enjoy the tennis championships at Monte Carlo once a year. As well, our tournaments are all supported by the government. My friends’ sports clubs are supported in various ways by the government, as well. Here, it is a nation of being fit and of being given opportunities by the government, which doesn’t happen in many other countries.

Secondly, there is the part of France, which many tourists are probably unfamiliar with – the schools. This is my second full year attending a French school, a charming establishment just at the bottom of the mountainous village where I live. The students and teachers are so welcoming, that I learned the language rapidly and enjoyably after just one year. I have had so much fun at this school participating in musical concerts and recitals, mental math challenges, cross-country championships, as well as many other activities. Just being a part of this educational system fills me with utter pride for my country. It is somehow, an academic system in which the gifted are challenged and the weaker students are supported and the in-between students are never forgotten or deemed unimportant.

Overall, I am extremely proud of my country, France. France is a country I would recommend to anyone searching for a sophisticated society, unbeatable food, reliably beautiful weather and absolutely stunning scenery. Whatever happens, I believe that France will always be an exhilarating source of pride to my family and I, although we are British and Canadian. Patriotism is not about where you were born, but where you feel you belong…halumph – ‘happiness dwells in the soul.’
Comment by firestar26

Awesome! <3
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 9:21:22 PM