Person to Watch in 2012: The band KARMIN

mirandaleopold
When you listen to main stream music, you will almost always hear these three things- sex , drugs, and curse words. There’s Rihanna, who is known as “Good Girl Gone Bad”, Justin Timberlake, who’s ‘bringing sexy back’, and Wiz Khalifa, who says “So what we get drunk? So what we smoke weed? We’re just having fun, we don’t care who sees.” All of these artist are listened to everyday, and by who? That’s right, the teenagers of this generation. Whether in the car, while working out, or during lunch at school, this is what teens listen to. We listen to the radio, download it on our Ipods, and we even dance to them at school dances. The lyrics in these songs do affect how teens act, think, and feel just to be accepted. Now most artist don’t become popular , or in some cases, stay popular, until they start acting provocative. On the other hand, one band hasn’t let our sex-based society take hold of their career.
The band, Karmin, which include Amy Heidmann and Nick Noonan, started out on Youtube. They were known for their covers of many mainstream songs. One thing that they changed in all of their covers were some words- the cursing, the sexual phrases, and just inappropriate things in general. While they were doing this, they still managed to get millions of hits! This duo used their talent to grab the audience, not the use of provocative language.
In 2011, they were signed to a major record label. Recently, they came out with a song and music video called “Crash Your Party.” The catchy beat and fun tune is what is attracting teens, but not any use of bad language (yay)! In the music video, Amy is not seen wearing short dresses, cropped tops, or any see-through clothing, unlike Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. She shows her style in colorful clothing and crazy hair styles.
In 2012, I truly believe that this inspirational band will hit the radio, keep up with mainstream, but still stick to their values. I think that they will show teens that mainstream music can be fun and ‘download worthy’, without having to do with sex and drugs. This duo will be a good influence on this generation, and their start in 2011 gives me a great feeling for 2012. I’ll be honest, I am like every other teenager. I do listen to songs like “Work that Monkey” and “Dance(A*$), but I do enjoy listening to Karmin even more (especially because I can listen to them with my parents in the car!).
Karmin showed me that I can still listen to the type of music that I like, without drowning in ‘F’-bombs and sexual content. This talented duo will definitely hit the charts this year, and have a good influence on the teens who will (definitely) listen.