Pesron to Watch in 2012: Ed Hourihan: Operation Grandpa

TallmanJE
The person to watch on 2012 is my grandfather Ed Hourihan. My grandfather is an active member in the Haitian Health Foundation. He travels to Haiti at least once a year to go down and help out. My grandfather has collaborated with my mother and sisters to help run tuna can drives for Haitians, and help raise money to build houses for families. We raise the money and tuna through school drives. All around my grandfather is an amazing man. He could meet a waitress in the middle of nowhere and find some way to make a personal connection with her. My grandfather has taught me hard work ethic. He grew up in a small town and married my grandmother when she was 19. By the time she was 22 she had four kids and counting and my grandfather was finishing college. They were poor; one of my grandfather’s friends that worked in the kitchen at the college would sometimes steal a ham or something like that to give to my grandfather for his family. He and my grandmother worked hard all of their lives. They had a total of 8 kids and worked for every penny of their retirement. Now he lives three houses up from the Atlantic Ocean in a house that is now worth 1.5 million dollars, and he has a condo in Florida. He taught me that hard work and perseverance is all you really need to get through life. My grandfather makes me laugh all the time. I get my dry sarcasm from him. He’s a very political man and loves having political arguments with anyone. My grandfather has really taught me a lot about life. If I could watch a movie of his life I would learn enough to be the most successful and smart person ever. Special is the definition of my grandfather because he is very caring and charismatic, I haven’t met many people like him before who can walk into a place and instantly make people feel at home and make a connection with them. My Grandfather already makes a large impact on society and culture through the Haitian Health Foundation. In the year to come I know he is going to visit Haiti and deliver food and clothing to help all of those in need down there. He also recently had organized a golf tournament benefiting Haiti. I am not sure if he is organizing another one though. My Grandfather is regular member of the Hatian Health Foundation, he is always teaching those around him about life even if they don’t know it. My Grandfather deserves to be on the radar for 2012 because he’s the best role model I could ever have.