Person to Watch in 2012: Mary Lynn Thurman

pink896heart
Mary Lynn Thurman is a FACS teacher at Godwin middle school, and she was my FACS teacher three years straight. This puts her on the radar for 2012 because I keep in touch with her, and she was nominated for teacher of the year!

Mary Lynn Thurman has made an impact on me because she has taught me important kitchen skills through 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. She’s a great teacher, and she cares for the school community as much as any teacher, and then some.

I say ‘and then some’ because I’ve seen her at more school events than any teacher. She’s always at the grill on the hill, CiCi’s night, and at the other zero hero events. She also runs about 3 different clubs and supports the students in everything they do.

By supporting the students, she gains their trust and respect, something not seen often nowadays. This makes a positive impact on the student’s life, as well as my own from three years with her, because now they have someone to go to if they need help. Throughout my middle school career, she was the teacher I trusted to tell about problems with other students if I had any.

She also makes learning fun. To do this, she gives ‘demos’. What she’ll do is she’ll get the recipe and ingredints for something, such as peanut butter humus, and she’ll teach the class how to make it. Afterwards, she’ll dish it out to the class. One year we did a baked potato, a giant cookie cake, and honey milk balls. Yummy!