STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Person to Watch in 2012: Emma Covington

PNGmade
I slowly worked down the line, hugging each person goodbye. I knew I was saving her goodbye for last, and she knew it too. Finally I had said goodbye to everyone there, except one person. She was standing there waiting for me. I hugged her tightly, wishing I never had to let go. I tried to speak, say something meaningful, but my voice caught in my throat and my eyes welled up with tears. Finally I said “Emma, you’re the greatest friend I’ve ever had.” As our car pulled away from the group of waving people, I realized I had meant those words with all my heart. Emma wasn’t just the greatest friend I had ever had though, she was the greatest person I had ever met. And that was because Emma Covington has a heart.

I have known Emma my whole life. When we were little, people used to laugh at us because of what odd friends we were. Emma used to hide and wait for me to walk past so that she could jump out and scare me. When she did I would scold her for being mean. They used to call Emma, “The noise that annoys” and me, “The Mother.” Even though I was four years younger, I enjoyed admonishing Emma, and she loved antagonizing me. But I have to admit it, I respected her even then.

Two years ago, Emma became my role model. She was the person I constantly compared myself to, and when I did, I always ended up aiming to be a better person. She wasn’t perfect, indeed she often made mistakes, but every time she did she would stop herself and try again. Sometimes I think that she is too hard on herself, that she is going to wear herself out by trying too hard. She aims to be the very best that she can: the best student, the best friend, the best Christian she can be. She isn’t an all “A” student, but she endeavors to get the best grades she can. I have caught her studying for three hours straight just for a chemistry test she wants to do well on. Whenever I was upset, she was always there for me, even if it was just to give me a hug. I cannot think of a single circumstance when she did not put other people over herself.

When I was younger, I saw Emma as always trying to do better, but never quite getting there. But now that I look back at the past few years, I realize that Emma did get there in many things. So this is why I say: watch out! Emma is graduating this summer and she is going into the world. But she is not just going to sit back and relax. I can tell you that for sure. She is going to achieve great things. And why am I so sure? That is because Emma Grace Covington is my sister.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy