Person to Watch in 2012: Emma Covington

PNGmade
I slowly worked down the line, hugging each person goodbye. I knew I was saving her goodbye for last, and she knew it too. Finally I had said goodbye to everyone there, except one person. She was standing there waiting for me. I hugged her tightly, wishing I never had to let go. I tried to speak, say something meaningful, but my voice caught in my throat and my eyes welled up with tears. Finally I said “Emma, you’re the greatest friend I’ve ever had.” As our car pulled away from the group of waving people, I realized I had meant those words with all my heart. Emma wasn’t just the greatest friend I had ever had though, she was the greatest person I had ever met. And that was because Emma Covington has a heart.

I have known Emma my whole life. When we were little, people used to laugh at us because of what odd friends we were. Emma used to hide and wait for me to walk past so that she could jump out and scare me. When she did I would scold her for being mean. They used to call Emma, “The noise that annoys” and me, “The Mother.” Even though I was four years younger, I enjoyed admonishing Emma, and she loved antagonizing me. But I have to admit it, I respected her even then.

Two years ago, Emma became my role model. She was the person I constantly compared myself to, and when I did, I always ended up aiming to be a better person. She wasn’t perfect, indeed she often made mistakes, but every time she did she would stop herself and try again. Sometimes I think that she is too hard on herself, that she is going to wear herself out by trying too hard. She aims to be the very best that she can: the best student, the best friend, the best Christian she can be. She isn’t an all “A” student, but she endeavors to get the best grades she can. I have caught her studying for three hours straight just for a chemistry test she wants to do well on. Whenever I was upset, she was always there for me, even if it was just to give me a hug. I cannot think of a single circumstance when she did not put other people over herself.

When I was younger, I saw Emma as always trying to do better, but never quite getting there. But now that I look back at the past few years, I realize that Emma did get there in many things. So this is why I say: watch out! Emma is graduating this summer and she is going into the world. But she is not just going to sit back and relax. I can tell you that for sure. She is going to achieve great things. And why am I so sure? That is because Emma Grace Covington is my sister.