Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Travel

There are numerous factors all seniors should evaluate before choosing a retirement destination. The first element most retirees think about when deciding on an area is usually the climate. However, there are many other factors that should also be considered. Prior to packing up and choosing a destination solely based on the weather, it’s important to assess other factors. Factors such as political stability, healthcare, education, safety, transportation, public services, recreation, environmen

Retirement is something everybody looks forward to. It is a time when you can relax, travel, and try things you never had time for before. Many decide to move to a new city after they retire and below is a list perfect for retirement living.

Franklin, Tennessee
Franklin is a city located about 20 miles south of Nashville. The cost of living is relatively low and the tax rate is lower than the national average. This is a safe city as well, having pretty low crime rates.

When you are living in Florida driving is almost a necessity. So I learned to drive and got myself a license in 1975.

Our family vacation was to be in Key West. With much anticipation, the car was inspected a day before and was packed the night before.

“Dad, how much longer to get to Key West?” Greg sounded from the back seat as he was getting bored. “Mom, I’m thirsty. Can I have something to drink?” at Greg’s side Dean followed as if he had to say something, too. “All ri

The kids in our extended family were reaching high school and college age, and we decided to make one last big family trip with everyone. Twelve of us, aged 14 to 75, traveled to Ireland to keep a promise to my sister, who was making plans for a family trip when she died of cancer. She left the money in her will for all of us to go, and we spent 10 days coming face-to-face with the country that produced our great-grandparents and our grandfather. We rented three cars and three cell phones and k

There’s An APP for that:
Why Not Getting Lost Is A Good Thing

I love technology, and have many APPS on my phone and other devices. So technology is not particularly a problem for me at my age. I taught school for many years so I retired ahead of the game with a comfortable appreciation of the Internet and the all powerful APPS. I love the game, information and productivity APPS I use, but there was no hesitation when I thought about which APP was my favorite. Google Maps…ha

To be retired is a wonderful thing, I can take a walk on the beach in front of my home, watch beautiful sunsets, go boating, take a cruise, go to the resort, go to dinner with my son and enjoy life without time restraints or schedules. I do not have to get up early and I can go to bed as late as I want. When you are retired you can now relax and really enjoy the blessings that God has given, life is beautiful. Sunsets are beautiful, friends are beautiful, shopping is beautiful. I am happier

Rangitoto is the largest and most prominent volcano in the Auckland chain. It pushed up out of the sea about 600 years ago and showed signs of activity as recently as 2013, so we were excited to scale the lava fields to the rim and have a look inside. I had lived on the banks of Volcano Solfatara in Pozzuoli, Italy, so I was accustomed to dealing with active volcanoes. Solfatara is linked underground with Vesuvius, and visitors are greeted by bubbling sand, boiling molten rock and pungent st

For spectacular photos check out http://www.trailexploring.com

The lure of a trailhead leading into the wild is overpowering. Captivated by wanderlust and adventure, we set out for one last day surrounded by mountains, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, forests and caves. We had watched the explosion of waterfalls literally crisscrossing themselves as rain poured down the mountain the day before as the drenched and exhausted hikers found the hut one by one. We had dried out a

I awoke in the middle of the night, and I could hear the torrential pounding of rain on the roof of the hut – I knew we would be in for a rough day. Secretly, I longed to experience the fury of a mountain storm that gave life to the eerie rain forests we had traversed. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

The morning greeted us with gale force winds and horizontal rain. We bucked up

Matt awoke early, a testament to the life altering nature of our experience. He played Routeburn Track angel as he walked back to town to score some venison pies and muffins for the next trek. Sharon and I had a proper breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast and coffee. We were clean, rested, packed and ready for the bush as we boarded the bus for the West trail head at the Divide.

Routeburn Track begins in th