Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Social Etiquette

I moved a year ago from California to North Carolina to be near my only son who is 36 year old. He and his girlfriend have lived together for nine years now. His girlfriend has a daughter
14 and a son 10. I thought when I moved closer that I would be spending most major holidays
with them however that has not been the case. I have spent every holiday alone and most
times not even a phone call. I know they are busy and I understand how difficult it can be
raising yo

I do believe in second chances, but sometimes you have to go with your gut instinct. I was a Girl Scout and Brownie leader and a liaison for our troops to the Service Unit.
One year I also volunteered to be the Cookie Chairman.

I was a stay-at-home mom and this was my first job supervising adults. I recruited one of mothers in the Scout Troop to help me out. I was giving her a second chance. She had helped me out previously and it hadn’t turned out well. I don’t remember my

I recently had a group of 10 family members from out of state stay with us for a week. FOUR of them stayed in our garage apartment while the others stayed in our guests room in the main house. When they left the garage apartment was left in a horrible state. Is it wrong to expect guests to clean up after themselves before leaving especially when they were given free room and board for a week?

When people reach their Golden Years, have struggled to work to build their character and their reputation, does jealousy cause a barrage of lies, slander and cyberbulling? They have worked all of their lives, enjoyed many good life experiences, maybe been honored and now they are closer to the end of their life than they were 60 years ago, but, some person with jealousy wants to destroy everything they have worked for. Jealousy can cause the most horrible of made up lies from a known or unkno

The word of the day is heedful, reminding me that I must ever be mindful of not only my actions but my words. I must remember that words that slip by the lips fall on ears that may misinterpret my meaning. My words are generated from within me, filtered through my likes, dislikes, beliefs and history then fall on ears that may have other filters and histories. Though I do not intentionally say hurtful things at times I see a reaction in another that surprises me when I see they have taken somet

It's really not about who I think I am but about who I am. I am a bent, twisted, heavy framed women with an oxygen hose in the nose. At least that will be your first impression should we ever meet. But wait, that is only the shell of me.. Look closer, look into my brown eyes with still a sparkle and zest for life. Don't be fooled by the external, that is a mistake we make. We only look at surface, we're in such a hurry to blow through this life, especially when we're young, that we miss so much

As each day goes by, I am asked whether I remembered to take care of the chores that burden my life. In this Independent Living set up where I live, it is anything but independent. For every request, there is a form which must be filled out in a timely manner; their time, not mine.

As part of the aging process, I gave up my car--a big mistake. Ironically, most of the approved drivers are older than I. My hearing is good, and I am only slightly near-sighted, which is more than

DUTCH COURAGE

“Dutch courage,” he informed the bartender bringing him his gin and tonic, a hipster with flat brim ironic cap and big glasses.

“Seven fifty.” Why did he pick such an expensive place? Was it pretentious?

“Why do they call it ‘Dutch’ courage?”

“Dunno. Need change?”

“No, thanks. I’m nervous – meeting a woman here –first date in nine years.:

No reply. The bartender couldn’t care less. Why do some people say ‘culd’ care

Energy, invincibility, and the spirit of adventure are descriptive words that one visualizes of college graduates. It is exciting to be a 61 year old college graduate with the energy, renewed sense of invincibility that interconnects with the spirit of adventure. It has been an eye opening journey having been exposed to the social media, diverse technology, and critical thinking or lack of.

The stability of society is based on shared core values. We baby-boomers had the benefits

At our independent living facility, it is protocol to address residents by their full names (e.g., Mrs. or Mr. Brown), but the help is addressed by first names only. In addition, when an aide brings a resident to the dining room, the aide must leave and go back to the resident’s room until she is called. That aide acts as an escort for activities and, after each, must also wait to be called.

The other day, I gave a lecture to the residents on a book I authored, My Life among the