Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Money

I moved a year ago from California to North Carolina to be near my only son who is 36 year old. He and his girlfriend have lived together for nine years now. His girlfriend has a daughter
14 and a son 10. I thought when I moved closer that I would be spending most major holidays
with them however that has not been the case. I have spent every holiday alone and most
times not even a phone call. I know they are busy and I understand how difficult it can be
raising yo

There are numerous factors all seniors should evaluate before choosing a retirement destination. The first element most retirees think about when deciding on an area is usually the climate. However, there are many other factors that should also be considered. Prior to packing up and choosing a destination solely based on the weather, it’s important to assess other factors. Factors such as political stability, healthcare, education, safety, transportation, public services, recreation, environmen

If you watch television these days you’ll see all sorts of commercials about life insurance. The theme is usually the same: a strapping young man just out of college finds a job and buys insurance to secure his future. Or a man in his late 20s has just got married and buys a life insurance policy for his wife’s security, just in case. Or parents in their mid-30s all smiling and happy buy a life insurance policy so that their kid has something to fall back on if something drastic happens. What’

Any minute now, we'll be buying a new car. How exciting! Pay a fortune for something that depreciates 100 percent before you get it home, unless it’s a very short drive. OK, so maybe it’s not that exciting. Memorable? I can't remember buying my first car.

Motorcycle or Car?

I was a grad student working at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, needing transportation. Heriberto, a co-worker, offered to loan or sell me his Harley Davidson motorcycle. As an und

Ring, ring. Ring, ring.
“Hello? Oh, hey! How was your trip?”
“Who is it?” I asked my mother.
“It’s grandma. She and Georg just got back from their cruise. Where did you go again, Mom?” “They went to Hawaii. You want to talk to them?”
I nodded and she handed me the phone, “Hey Grandma!”

My grandparents were always traveling. In the winter, when it was too cold for them to come up and see the family in PA, they would travel to exotic locations such as Hawaii, Alask

Back in the 1930s, our family was financially ruined after the tragedy of a series of lengthy illnesses. In the 1940s, my master's thesis dealt with health care and all of the lawsuits against the newly born Blue Cross. At the time, it was a small group plan, paid for by each individual; but it was not without critics and was sued by many large companies. In fact, many people thought that $10 per year was too expensive.

I have forgotten the negative complaints about Social Security

What writer hasn’t dreamed of seeing their work in print? The idea is an aphrodisiac, enchanting, irresistible.

You read the many ads about self-publishing and, on impulse, investigate with an e-mail. You receive prompt telephone calls from representatives who explain the many options. Each is so erudite, so concerned with getting you on the right path to a best seller. From the many offers, you choose one recommended by a friend.

My own case was a bit different. All I wa

Did you know, if both you and your spouse are age 62+, you can buy a home for a primary residence and make no principal and interest payments for as long as you live? Sounds too good to be true, right? Well you can with the FHA-backed HECM for purchase program. It’s more common name is reverse mortgage. Everyone hears that and shies away. Let me dispel some of the myths about this loan for you.
1. I don’t really own my home. You are on the title and the home can never be taken

Hello everyone,

Stage of Life has a great offer to share with those looking to take a summer vacation.

The Wyndham Hotel Group is the world’s largest and most diverse hotel company. It includes 15 hotel brands representing over 7,300 hotels and more than 620,000 hotel rooms in 66 countries, under the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®, Dream Hotels®, Night Hotels®, TRYP® by Wyndham, Wingate® by Wyndham, Hawthorn Suites® by Wyndham, Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada Worldwide®, Baymont

Dragons, it seems, are the ultimate evil. In fairy tales, when the hero slays the dragon, he is considered the bravest of the brave, he wins the treasure and the adulation of the townspeople, they throw a parade and he marries the princess. The dragon is his final obstacle between Once Upon a Time and Happily Ever After.

If my life were a fairy tale, my dragon would be $100,000 in unsecured consumer debt.

Over 25 years of married life, Downtown Dad and I fully own the fac