Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: I Need a Change

Second Chances, Wrap and Re-new

Empty Nester and House Projects…words that don’t go together, or at least they shouldn’t. I mean afterall, didn’t we raise two kids and make it to the finish line?!
There was just something about the word “foreclosure” and the price that went with it that we couldn’t resist. So Goodbye big house, and hello condo.

How many times through the years with all of our moves had we been faced with a few good “house projects”. Okay, this move wo

My Father’s Story of Life
WHO ARE THE HEIRS OF SESHENDRA SHARMA?

The literary world is aware that my father Gunturu Seshendra Sarma, eminent poet, litterateur and scholar-critic, died on 30th may 2007. Ever since he expired, there has been no mention of his parents, family members and other personal details in the news and in the articles about him. Not only this, fictional lies are being spread and using money power one shady lady is being propagated as his wife and so on. This

Week 1
For months M has been nagging me to attend ballet classes with her. I have a plethora of valid excuses: it’s dinner time, it’s carpool time, it’s TV time, it’s snack time, etc. The truth is; I really don’t have a single legit excuse. So with substantial ambivalence, I anxiously agree to give it a try. Actually, I have pretty much convinced myself I am doing M a friendly favour. After an extended nearly 30 year hiatus, I find myself surrounded by mirrors, standing at the barre next

I am no longer working, and living with renal dialysis. I need to work out what to do with the rest of my life.

After the children (all 6 of them) moved out, came back and moved out again with their children, I felt it was time for me to indulge myself with some specialized education that I had always wanted, but for which I had never had time.
We are blessed to have a 2-year college in town (Northwest College, Powell, WY), with a top rated photo communications program. After getting my feet wet with an online introduction to digital photography, I registered as a full time student last fall. For me

The best hikes in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park – Mount LeConte and the Jump Off in the same weekend. We took the Alum Cave Bluff Trail to Mount LeConte, and because we were in bear country, Sharon asked if I would wear some bacon on my head – I declined. We experienced 5.5 miles of gorgeous and fascinating trails while ascending over 2700 feet to the third highest mountain in the Park. The first structure of interest is Rock Arch that was cut out of the mountain by Alum Cave Creek

Identify: Retirement Benefits

We stood at the large window in the Miami International Airport and watched our last

child take off for the next step of his life. Who am I now? I asked. I’m still a mother, but I’ve

lost my job of raising kids. What will I do with my life now? Should I cry or celebrate?

Then I discovered a page called, “Now I Think,” in my church periodical, inviting readers to express their opinions on current social issues.

Celo Knob (elevation 6327 feet) is the last major peak in the Black Mountains of North Carolina.

The Black Mountains include Mount Mitchell, the tallest mountain east of the Rockies, and the hike from Mount Mitchell to Celo Knob is called the Death March because of the rugged terrain and many mountains to summit en route. My wife and I attempted the Black Mountain Crest Trail last year, and it beat us down - we had to turn back one mountain shy of Celo Knob.

So this

Each year on New Year’s Day it is interesting to reflect on the previous year and to recount how many things happened that nobody saw coming. It is astonishing how unpredictable our lives can be and how much change we experience on a regular basis. Albert Einstein said, “The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” The question is how can we adapt to changing situations and modify our strategies to handle unforeseen demands and challenges?

Think about trout. Trout love

"I can't believe they are paying me to have this much fun." If this was not my first thought every morning, I moved on to another fun job. Little wonder I am still working at 63, but, alas, times have changed and squeezed the fun out of working.

The nest egg is secure, and the new job is retirement. I began contemplating retirement the last time I got laid off - I took a road trip from the Carolinas to Minnesota to New England. Sadly, I accomplished everything I had planned for m