Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: General Questions

In our culture, we are conditioned to focus on the major events in life. Consider how elaborate weddings have become. How about birthday parties? When I was a kid, you were lucky if you had a few children over to your house for cake, ice cream and game of musical chairs. Today, extravagant venues and elaborate themes are of the expectation for a child’s birthday party. We live from one big event to the other and in the process often ignore the small, sacred moments that sew together a lif

Second Chances, Wrap and Re-new

Empty Nester and House Projects…words that don’t go together, or at least they shouldn’t. I mean afterall, didn’t we raise two kids and make it to the finish line?!
There was just something about the word “foreclosure” and the price that went with it that we couldn’t resist. So Goodbye big house, and hello condo.

How many times through the years with all of our moves had we been faced with a few good “house projects”. Okay, this move wo

I have friend whose grown son and his wife set time limits on when my friend can visit her only grandchild. Her son talked her in to moving from her home of 35 years to the town that he ans his family live in. She was an excellent mother to him ans his sister and raised them as a single mother.They were brought up right. She was never abusive in any way and always did the right thing by her children. She has lived in this town for about 2 years now and has only seen her grandson about 5 times

One day as I sat reading a book on my comfy couch, I happened to look up and see my three cats growling at each other. Buffy, my long haired grey and white male, sat on the window sill in the living room. He growled and hissed at Terra and Abbey. As I watched them yowling at each other, I could imagine the conversation they were having.

Abbey, who was a regal looking Persian, had a rather commanding demeanour; after all she’d been with me for fifteen years. Buffy had to be more

Animals: My Little Buddy

Niko was a Miniature Schnauzer. He wasn’t pure breed, he was a mix. But you couldn’t tell. He was silver and grey, just like the pedigreed Schnauzers. We got him from the animal shelter when he was about one year old for my daughter, Kamari. Since Kamari was a latch key child my wife and I decided that she should have a companion when she came home from middle school. With both working parents often coming home late it seemed like a good idea. At first I

If I were to write a memoir about the pets in my life, most of the book would be about cats, especially chapters covering the last 25 years. But having endured the antics of 1 to 3 at a time, distinctly different felines, from kitten to cat-hood, I don’t know which chapter to summarize for a 500 word preview. To avoid that decision, I’ll write about my wife Vicki’s tropical fish.

For the most part, the fish were small. Nevertheless, because of their number, they graduated from a bow

Elderly auntie's been in Hospice for 2 years. All family goes to Mexico for 4 weeks every year (20 years) to get together with old friends. I'm a very close niece with auntie, and was advised she passed away just after breakfast Christmas Eve morning and would I notify relatives? Everyone thought I was phoning with Happy Holliday stuff, rather than death news. It's too late now, but if this should ever happen again, or to someone else, should I have waited till perhaps the 26th to make the p

We had a problem here. No one knew where Paul went or what happened to him. If you called, his voicemail greeting wasted no words: I’m trying something different. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll be back.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say his regulars panicked, but after having Paul cut your hair for years, they were a tad uneasy about offering their heads to a new barber.

Finding a Barber

When my wife Vicki’s father thought his hair couldn’t wait any lo

The manila box that contained a simple pound cake was far from fresh when it arrived

to its destination from across the Pacific Ocean.

Sent almost as an afterthought by his aunt who lived in upstate New York, the cake was

eagerly opened by the tired and dirty hands of the soldier who was taking a mountaintop

break in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, where he served as an infantryman.

The cake was ferried to the mountain, alon

Did you see the news about the Great Dane in Portland, Oregon, that ate 43-1/2 socks (the half sock was a mystery)? It made me think of Nike--not the company, the dog.

Nike was a large, sweet, handsome Belgian Shepherd owned by Bob Hoffman, owner of Playland, an amusement park, which recently closed, in Upstate New York. Many moons ago, we often took our daughters there for the arcade, rides or miniature golf; or if we were without the girls, my husband, my hero, sometimes inv