Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Busyness Is Not a Spiritual Gift

I can easily become overloaded, overburdened, and go overboard with busyness in my daily environment. I get so busy that waiting is not an option. Wait is a tough word to deal with in today's busy world. Being too busy can distract us from the most important things in our lives—people. The most important thing in our environment. Busy is the enemy of peace. Busy steals precious time. Busy robs my blessings.

Waiting Time Is Never Wasti

I hate to be the bearer of bad news folks but I'm afraid the term freedom of speech should probably be changed to the freedom of some speech. It is a little telling of my age but when I was growing up in the sixty's and seventies it was taken very seriously, however today I see a complete reversal. Our parents and teachers used to recite to us from an early age the old “sticks and stones” saying and it was for a reason, it is true. We used to say, “I don't agree with you but I defend your rig

My Father’s Story of Life
WHO ARE THE HEIRS OF SESHENDRA SHARMA?

The literary world is aware that my father Gunturu Seshendra Sarma, eminent poet, litterateur and scholar-critic, died on 30th may 2007. Ever since he expired, there has been no mention of his parents, family members and other personal details in the news and in the articles about him. Not only this, fictional lies are being spread and using money power one shady lady is being propagated as his wife and so on. This

When you are living in Florida driving is almost a necessity. So I learned to drive and got myself a license in 1975.

Our family vacation was to be in Key West. With much anticipation, the car was inspected a day before and was packed the night before.

“Dad, how much longer to get to Key West?” Greg sounded from the back seat as he was getting bored. “Mom, I’m thirsty. Can I have something to drink?” at Greg’s side Dean followed as if he had to say something, too. “All ri

In 2013 I got a settlement from an accident. The whole thing took over two years; and during that time I teased my family about finding a vacation that we and my two daughters’ families could enjoy. A cruise was out of the question, because one son-in-law got seasick and the other, being a sailor, would want to pilot the ship himself.

While I was thumbing through one of my husband’s fishing magazines I came across what looked like a good compromise. A lodge on a lake with fishing,

The kids in our extended family were reaching high school and college age, and we decided to make one last big family trip with everyone. Twelve of us, aged 14 to 75, traveled to Ireland to keep a promise to my sister, who was making plans for a family trip when she died of cancer. She left the money in her will for all of us to go, and we spent 10 days coming face-to-face with the country that produced our great-grandparents and our grandfather. We rented three cars and three cell phones and k

There’s An APP for that:
Why Not Getting Lost Is A Good Thing

I love technology, and have many APPS on my phone and other devices. So technology is not particularly a problem for me at my age. I taught school for many years so I retired ahead of the game with a comfortable appreciation of the Internet and the all powerful APPS. I love the game, information and productivity APPS I use, but there was no hesitation when I thought about which APP was my favorite. Google Maps…ha

I recently had a group of 10 family members from out of state stay with us for a week. FOUR of them stayed in our garage apartment while the others stayed in our guests room in the main house. When they left the garage apartment was left in a horrible state. Is it wrong to expect guests to clean up after themselves before leaving especially when they were given free room and board for a week?

The lights are dimmer. The print is smaller. The sewing needle manufacturers no longer put thread eyes in needles.

I have my prescription glasses for driving but now I have dollar store glasses for print (and threading needles) along with magnifying glasses. I even found a magnifying glass that has a built-in light. I hold things under my chair side lamp, under my overhead light then under my halogen lamp. I need all of these in an effort to compensate for the conspiracy by pr

Week 1
For months M has been nagging me to attend ballet classes with her. I have a plethora of valid excuses: it’s dinner time, it’s carpool time, it’s TV time, it’s snack time, etc. The truth is; I really don’t have a single legit excuse. So with substantial ambivalence, I anxiously agree to give it a try. Actually, I have pretty much convinced myself I am doing M a friendly favour. After an extended nearly 30 year hiatus, I find myself surrounded by mirrors, standing at the barre next

I first met my favorite teacher when she was nine years old. I was dating her brother, who eventually became my husband. We had been dating awhile and we had to stop by his house for some reason. We entered through the back door into the kitchen and she was wearing an oven mitt and was taking something out of the oven.

I was amazed that her mother thought she was old enough to assume a baking task. In retrospect, I now realize the relegation was a matter of necessity for my futu

Her name is Emily Moxey, and she inspired and transformed the lives of the children in her Life Skills Class. Her students were in the 5th – 8th grade, and all were diagnosed with severe intellectual disabilities. Often, students in her class also had serious physical disabilities. Ms. Moxey opened her classroom door – and the door to the outside world – wide for them.

She worked down the hall from me, and I tried to visit her classroom whenever I could. When the challenges in my job

Fight or Flight
******************
The love story of Jeb and Suzy.

On the first day of kindergarten Jeb & Suzy were seated at the same table when she leaned over, whispered into Jeb’s ear, and said. We are going to be married one day.

After school, Suzy told her mother, who she was going to marry and her mother laughed, just as Jeb’s mother laughed when she was told the news.
What they didn’t know is that Suzy was serious about her prediction and she told h

I am no longer working, and living with renal dialysis. I need to work out what to do with the rest of my life.

One day as I sat reading a book on my comfy couch, I happened to look up and see my three cats growling at each other. Buffy, my long haired grey and white male, sat on the window sill in the living room. He growled and hissed at Terra and Abbey. As I watched them yowling at each other, I could imagine the conversation they were having.

Abbey, who was a regal looking Persian, had a rather commanding demeanour; after all she’d been with me for fifteen years. Buffy had to be more

<<Prev  2 of 18    Next>>