Letter to Mom: A Thousand Thanks

Miriam
“Go read your books; someday you will be a teacher. I don’t want you be a pot-walloper like me, your mama.” Your words must have come from the eight year old child who, arriving in America, was put to work in a cigar factory, stripping stems out of the leaves. When you told us your job, we teased you--“Our mother was a stripper!”

You always demeaned yourself, though you were the finest baker, the best cook, the creator of dresses for me and suits for my three brothers. You knitted sweaters and socks and crocheted afghans.

You spoke several languages besides English. Yet you went to night school to learn to read and write English, which helped you become the unofficial neighborhood social worker (offering my services as literacy and legal advisor).

I became the teacher who always came to you to be taught; for more words of wisdom than ever came from my professors.

Once, I was at a loss trying to deal with a student who neglected body hygiene. Her classmates complained and it was too cold to open windows. When her mother was called in, she angrily protested that the girl was sent to school to be “learnt, not smelt.”

You shook your head sadly. “I was a dirty child once,” you said. “A nice neighbor gave me a bar of lavender soap with a cloth and told me to wash my hands and face like a lady. I washed every day, and little by little, I smelled better.” It was great advice, Mom; it worked. And I gave her a bottle of perfume, too.

On another occasion, I complained because my students couldn’t understand the difference between a noun and a pronoun. “They will understand sometime,” you told me. “And if they don’t, no matter. A teacher who whines about her students is like a doctor who complains his patients are sick. They need help, not criticism.” Set straight, I designed a fun lesson called pro-nounsense that worked for that class and many others.

When I grumbled that I didn’t go to college to supervise lockers and lavatories and collect milk money, you said, “Someone’s got to do it.” When I was worried about an outbreak of pediculosis, you advised me to cut my hair short and warned me not to lean over my students at their desks. You couldn't come up with a solution to avoid measles, but you did offer tea and sympathy and calamine.

So, Mom, you are never far from my mind and my heart. Your lessons about responsibility, kindness, patience and understanding are my guide. If you were here today you would be pleased that I am well-read and have a dishwasher that does pots.

Yours in gratitude, your loving daughter

Beautiful!
Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:26:44 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the "Empty Nest" winner for the May writing contest: "Letter to Mom"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandMoms.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:22:44 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.