1965 vs. 2013

bugcandy
I received a fun little comparison between 1965 and 2013 and wanted to share it with the Stage of Life community. If you're a Baby Boomer, you may get a kick out of this (or it'll depress you!)...

1965: Long hair
2013: Longing for hair

1965: KEG
2013: EKG

1965: Acid rock
2013: Acid reflux

1965: Moving to California because it's cool
2013: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1965: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2013: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1965: Seeds and stems
2013: Roughage

1965: Hoping for a BMW
2013: Hoping for a BM

1965: Going to a new, hip joint
2013: Receiving a new hip joint

1965: Rolling Stones
2013: Kidney Stones

1965: Screw the system
2013: Upgrade the system

1974: Disco
2012: Costco

1965: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2013: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1965: Passing the drivers' test
2013: Passing the vision test

1965: Whatever
2013: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the Mindset of this year's incoming freshmen.

Here's this year's list:
--The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1993.
--They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
--Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
--Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
--The CD was introduced 2 years before they were born.
--They have always had an answering machine.
--They have always had cable.
--They cannot fathom not having a remote control, and have never seen one with a 15' cord that attached to the TV.
--Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
--Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
--They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
--They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
--They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
--They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane.."
--They have no idea who J.R. is, much less care who shot him.
--Mc Donald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
--They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

It is good to have friends who know about these things and are still alive and kicking!!

Can you think of other comparisons between 1965 and 2013?

That was good! It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how forever until a couple months ago, I loved the feel of the wind and breeze blowing my hair. Now, the feel of no hair just feels liberating! Besides saving on shampoo and conditioner, as well as a shorter shower session...I can squeegee my head dry without wetting up a towel!
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:30:02 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

wow...times really do change
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 6:33:12 PM
Comment by Suzanne

Not funny - really. Well, maybe just a little.

One thing to add to the 1965/2013 list. Watches. We wore them because they were essential, kids today wear them as a fashion statement - just as well since they can't tell time anyway, unless the face is digital.
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 5:47:01 PM
Comment by booklotto

I really love your creative approach on this and it is great to review here, many thanks for sharing
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 12:51:21 AM
Comment by swaktexas

Ha! Love it! I've often thought of how we did things "back then" that are no-no's now. Such as when I was a kid, we drank out of water hoses or the community water fountain. We rode our bikes without helmets ( I don't even think they made helmets in th early 70's?). We also ran all over the neighborhood, weren't tied to the phones and actually TALKED to my friends. Times have surely changed!
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:06:52 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.