Really??

Suzanne
I received a renewal notice for my Driver's License about two weeks ago and finally got around to taking care of it yesterday. My procrastination was brought on by a pre-determination that it was going to be terribly inconvenient. And it was. But not because the office was inefficient or that the lines were unbearably long - it was inconvenient because I failed to read my renewal notice carefully.

The last time I renewed my license, all I had to do was surrender the old license and take an eye examination. That was many, many years ago. Apparently, things have changed.

As I entered the office with my renewal notification in hand, I was greeted by a computer touch screen with options including, DL renewal, property tax payment, tag replacement, renewal, etc. It was a virtual one-stop shop. I touched DL renewal and the computer promptly spit out #95. I took my number and found an empty seat among the other patrons waiting to be served. It was at that point that I actually looked at my renewal notice. Right there, under WHAT TO BRING - proof of identification, such as a Passport or Certified Birth Certificate. Oops. So much for surrendering the old (still valid) license. As I walked out the door I heard number 90 being called.

I hopped into the car and made the fourteen minute round trip and returned with my passport. Number 97 was being called. I quietly took a seat, but not a new number and waited patiently until I heard the sweetest words, "Has 95 returned to the building?" " Yep, I'm good this time," came my confident reply. Apparently, not so. As the clerk began to enter data she also had a slew of questions which included, do you have your social security card? What? I thought all I needed was proof of identification. Not so. She handed me a single sheet of paper with several highlighted passages and I began to read - carefully, this time. Okay, I'll be back.

Back in the car and another fourteen minute round trip yielded my social security card (knowing the number was not sufficient), a bank statement and an electric bill. I added these new documents to my still valid Driver's License and my passport and walked sheepishly back into the renewal office. This time I took a new number, #7, as I was pretty sure that I would not be afforded the "she was here earlier dispensation."

"Number 7." I walked past the original clerk and gave a quick smile and a wave as I proceeded down the lane to clerk number four. Dalia already knew my story - "third time's a charm," she quipped as I handed over all evidence of my existence. One eye exam, a bazillion questions and $44 later I had a new DL in hand (with a photo that actually looks like me).

Number one clerk gave me a "thumbs up" as I walked past a long line of new arrivals and out the door, not to return, for at least another eight years. I can only imagine what will be required by then!

Way to go, girl! I had just renewed for 10 years in Virginia, doing everything online. But then we moved to another state, and my experience was much like yours.
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:13:01 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.