My Thoughts on Newtown: Where DO We Go From Here?

pammlofton
In September, I started teaching at the elementary school my four daughters attended when they were growing up. The opportunity presented itself and, being an empty nester with time on my hands, I jumped right on it. I have to say that, even before the most recent event, the thought of some psycho walking into the school with a gun had a place in the back of my mind. Following the Newtown incident, the thought has taken more of an up-front position. I also have to say that I have no idea what the answer is. I have no idea how to stop this madness.

Our district has taken steps towards making some changes, one of which involves putting an SRO officer at all schools instead of just the high schools. The first week following the shooting in Newtown, all elementary schools in our county had police officers on site. The mayor of the north area decided that they were going to make this a permanent situation. He is now under attack from various individuals as well as a group or two who are saying things like, “Having more guns is sending a mixed message.” I disagree.

The week that an officer was housed at our school, everyone felt safe and secure. The students did not mind one bit having him there. He was friendly, kind and took time to answer questions and make suggestions. Our students are taught that police officers are the good guys. The fact that he carries a gun did not send any sort of mixed messages or make faculty or students or parents feel threatened or afraid. On the contrary, everyone felt something akin to carefree.

I’m not sure how having guns in the hands of the good guys is a mixed message. If that is true, isn’t it a mixed message that police officers carry guns while on patrol? While walking their beats? While making arrests? Come on people. It’s a sad state of affairs that we live in a time when a major concern is the safety of our school children. But the fact is, this IS a concern. It IS a reality.

Personally, I believe that the mental health issues that need to be addressed will have a much greater effect on this problem than gun control. If we stopped allowing guns right now- the manufacturing/selling/owning/whatever of all of them---there would still be millions (at the very least) of guns and access to them. If someone wants to get a gun, that someone will be able to do so. Perhaps it is time to take a closer look at what makes someone want not only to access that gun but also to hurt and kill innocent children.

No, I don’t have the answers. But, until there are answers, I don’t mind having an officer on campus. A little peace of mind does make a difference. A visible, armed police officer does act as a deterrent.

Pam, you bring to the table some good points! Like you, I dont know the answer, but eliminating guns is just plain ignorance, in my opinion. We all forget the unexploded propane bottle at Columbine. Do we outlaw propane? And what about the high schooler last week whose house was searched and police found homemade bombs out of Copenhagen cans? Now we should outlaw chewing tabaco?! I feel that it took us, as society, a long time to get to this point. It's gonna take a long time to fix it! There is no instant cure and the sooner we start to delve into the issue productively, the sooner in time we will find the solutions! Great essay and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 6:48:41 PM
Comment by pammlofton

Thanks. I wish I did have the answer. And you're right, it did take us a long time to get to this point and it'll take us a long time to figure it out. I'm still thinking that a long look at mental health in this country wouldn't be a total waste of time. But just ONE thing isn't going to be the answer. It rarely is.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 9:27:28 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

I agree...having security or an officer on campus makes everyone feel safer.
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:25:32 PM
Comment by pammlofton

It really does. They are now considering them on a permanent basis. Since my lab is right in the front of the school, I'm grateful! :)
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:38:57 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as the winner of our "Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting?" January writing contest for the Retirement life stage. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:39:01 PM
Comment by pammlofton

Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you and I love writing here almost as much as I enjoy reading what others are saying!
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:53:51 PM

Right on Pam! :-)

Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:12:51 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.