My Song: Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All" - 1986

TrustingGodsPlan
MY SONG: Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All” - 1986 - its been a song of meaning in my life when I was 17 and still 26 years later.

The first song that came to mind was Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All.” I am a child of the 80’s, but this song was special to me because it was the favorite song of my best girlfriend back when we were in high school. We had known each other since kindergarten, but by the end of junior high we had became inseparable.

By the time our junior year of high school ended we both had serious boyfriends. The summer before our senior year seemed to fly by. We were both 17. Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All” cassette was always in her boom box, by far her favorite. She had just returned from a trip to visit Disneyland and she came to my house. I showed her a picture of the wedding ring set my boyfriend and I were looking at. We were looking forward to our senior year together and my wedding after graduation.

On August 7, 1986, I became engaged to my future husband.. Two days later, on August 9, 1986, my friend was killed instantly in a car accident.
I still have the last birthday card she gave me where she thanked me for “being the sister she never had.” She would have been my only friend in my bridal party the next year along with my two sisters.

In the time that followed, my fiance/husband helped me through the grieving process. When school started again, she was everywhere but she was nowhere. I would catch myself walking to her locker and remember she wouldn’t be meeting me. For years, just hearing that song on the radio would stop me in my tracks and bring me to tears.

Ironically, several things have happened this year. Ms. Houston has passed from this life as well. Also, I lost my other best friend when, tired of dealing with my ongoing health issues, my husband decided he wanted to separate. But as I listened to the song again, I was reminded of several things.

In the last verse, Ms. Houston says “And if, by chance, that special place that you’ve been dreaming of, leads you to a lonely place, find your strength in love.” I have had to find a lot of strength out of love in the past year, but not love of self as the song says, rather a greater love. My faith at 43 is much more mature than it was at 17. And out of my failure when I hear a song, a song that my friend loved, it reminds me that I am sustained every step, every day of my life by truly the real “Greatest Love of All.”
Comment by Suzanne

We each have a tendency to be "defined" by our present situation, especially when things are not going as we planned. Writing can liberate and elevate us to move beyond our circumstances. Just sharing this essay shows that you are projecting forward to a new life - surrounded by "the greatest Love of all." Best wishes and please continue to share your stories.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:56:45 PM

May your next 43 years be filled with happiness.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:26:21 PM
Comment by TrustingGodsPlan

Thank you both...it certainly has been a journey...not the one I chose but you go where you have to sometimes! Thanks again.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:56:03 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.