STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All" - 1986

TrustingGodsPlan
MY SONG: Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All” - 1986 - its been a song of meaning in my life when I was 17 and still 26 years later.

The first song that came to mind was Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All.” I am a child of the 80’s, but this song was special to me because it was the favorite song of my best girlfriend back when we were in high school. We had known each other since kindergarten, but by the end of junior high we had became inseparable.

By the time our junior year of high school ended we both had serious boyfriends. The summer before our senior year seemed to fly by. We were both 17. Whitney Houston’s “Greatest Love of All” cassette was always in her boom box, by far her favorite. She had just returned from a trip to visit Disneyland and she came to my house. I showed her a picture of the wedding ring set my boyfriend and I were looking at. We were looking forward to our senior year together and my wedding after graduation.

On August 7, 1986, I became engaged to my future husband.. Two days later, on August 9, 1986, my friend was killed instantly in a car accident.
I still have the last birthday card she gave me where she thanked me for “being the sister she never had.” She would have been my only friend in my bridal party the next year along with my two sisters.

In the time that followed, my fiance/husband helped me through the grieving process. When school started again, she was everywhere but she was nowhere. I would catch myself walking to her locker and remember she wouldn’t be meeting me. For years, just hearing that song on the radio would stop me in my tracks and bring me to tears.

Ironically, several things have happened this year. Ms. Houston has passed from this life as well. Also, I lost my other best friend when, tired of dealing with my ongoing health issues, my husband decided he wanted to separate. But as I listened to the song again, I was reminded of several things.

In the last verse, Ms. Houston says “And if, by chance, that special place that you’ve been dreaming of, leads you to a lonely place, find your strength in love.” I have had to find a lot of strength out of love in the past year, but not love of self as the song says, rather a greater love. My faith at 43 is much more mature than it was at 17. And out of my failure when I hear a song, a song that my friend loved, it reminds me that I am sustained every step, every day of my life by truly the real “Greatest Love of All.”
Rate this:
Comment by Suzanne

We each have a tendency to be "defined" by our present situation, especially when things are not going as we planned. Writing can liberate and elevate us to move beyond our circumstances. Just sharing this essay shows that you are projecting forward to a new life - surrounded by "the greatest Love of all." Best wishes and please continue to share your stories.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:56:45 PM
Rate this:
Comment by warren

May your next 43 years be filled with happiness.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:26:21 PM
Rate this:
Comment by TrustingGodsPlan

Thank you both...it certainly has been a journey...not the one I chose but you go where you have to sometimes! Thanks again.
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:56:03 PM
Rate this:

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy