The Secret of Happiness: Appreciating Small Moments

readarose
In our culture, we are conditioned to focus on the major events in life. Consider how elaborate weddings have become. How about birthday parties? When I was a kid, you were lucky if you had a few children over to your house for cake, ice cream and game of musical chairs. Today, extravagant venues and elaborate themes are of the expectation for a child’s birthday party. We live from one big event to the other and in the process often ignore the small, sacred moments that sew together a life of authentic joy.

Now in the sixth decade of my life, I have come to realize it’s the small moments that weave happiness. This insight was not always present but I’ve found that once you’ve witness illness ravage a friend, attended the funeral of a beloved parent or watched the damage of a contentious divorce, the “big” events aren’t quite as important. Slowly, the wisdom of age has pulled back the curtain and enabled me to appreciate the gifts inherent in each day.

Awakening to the song of birds and sun streaming in the window, sets the stage for a wonderful day. Greeting my husband with a morning kiss and savoring fresh coffee and a few quiet moments to pray or write, is a gift. Although work or chores aren’t always categorized as fun, the appreciation that I have the health to teach school and easily carry out my daily chores, makes me happy.

The most remarkable small moments, are those that involve my family and friends. I am blessed with a large family. My husband and five children have always been my greatest blessing and now their spouses and our nine grandchildren are, too. Meaningful conversations with my husband or one of our adult children is a joy I treasure. The little things that bond us together, like a funny text message or thoughtful invitation bring a smile to my face.

Naturally, when it comes to creating happiness, nothing compares to interacting with our grandchildren and enjoying all the unexpected pleasures of that relationship. Whether it’s a funny antic, a heart-to-heart conversation, a shared bedtime story or an unsolicited hug and kiss, our grandchildren lift my heart and offer happiness by their very presence. Making memories with these little ones infuses me with deep gratitude and amazing joy.

My diverse friendships with many wonderful people also contribute to my tapestry of happiness. Time spent together doesn’t have to wait for a special occasion. Whether a quick visit or a long dinner, socializing with friends always includes laughter and a chance to rehash the ups and downs of life, leaving me feeling refreshed and joyful.

Undoubtedly, I’ve enjoyed my share of major life events. However, it’s the precious small moments that sustain my happiness. It’s knowing that if I open my eyes and heart, not a day will go by without moments of joy to savor and save and stitch into a happy life.

Thank you for the reminder of what counts.
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 9:00:00 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.