Eve of the First of the Next

Bill Hamilton
As I sit here in the soft glow of twinkle lights emanating from our Christmas tree and the pine boughs on the fireplace mantle above I reflect on a year gone by.
Mixed emotions fill my head as I rejoice in the birth of another Grandchild Jacob whose smile and demeanor even at his tender age brings me joy. A successful year with tours and the association of people from all over the world enlightened me. The loss of a close friend I grew up with saddened the year. It brings to the realization that things can’t always be rosy and life is precious.
How can I improve on 2016? With the rise of violence and terrorism in the world I think the first step is to live by the values of the word “respect” so eloquently put by Aretha Franklin. I need to enforce “respect” in my daily life and lead by example. Uppermost respect my precious gift of health and life itself. Show respect to people I encounter on a day to day basis and take that extra moment to realize that life’s fortunes don’t always equate with everyone. Finally, I have to start being pro-active in saving our environment before it is too late. The realization that research shows more exhaustible resources is an indicator we have been abusing the nature that surrounds us. Dealing with waste and refuse is of primary importance if our society is to survive.
By being vigilant in maintaining good health practices eating properly exercising and looking at the glass as being half full is one way I will enhance the positives. It is so easy to jump on the band wagon and become bitter and depressed at the misgivings in the world around us. I hope to try and curb that habit and to be aware of the ills of the world but think about how I can take steps to remedy them.
Lastly, I must be aware of the world around me. Acknowledge that there is hate in the world and those that execute force to propagate that ill will. Watch for those behaviors that profess negativity and destruction. We all have a responsibility to never allow the free world to be consumed by terrorism.
I look ahead with concern to a new year that will raise the question of increase gas prices, hydro rates, policies of a new government and a major election in the United States that inadvertently will impact on Canada as a whole. It is the anticipation of the unknown, the unanswered questions that keep us guessing, keep us hoping that 2016 will be a much better year. I need the eye of the tiger to make things happen as procrastination is such an easy pit to fall into.
May we all have a healthy and prosperous 2016 continue our friendships and flourish in the tide of success.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.