Be the Change: This Changes Everything

Silver Fox
The daily news torments me with a story of a violent, devastated world. Last week, after viewing the documentary film “This Changes Everything”, our audience debated. Is climate change real? How big an impact does human activity have on the coming crisis? Can individuals truly make a difference? Is life on earth, as we know it, -doomed – or is there hope?

When I was young, we caught frogs that leaped in abundance around our feet at the lake’s edge. Fish swarmed around the end of the dock. Quail and partridge fluttered along the path while we hiked through the bush. At night, we’d fall asleep to the melodic tune of a whip-poor-will and the bass note of a bullfrog. A distant chorus of the wolves howled as the curtain of darkness fell.

All of those things are now gone.

That pristine location has been dramatically altered by the impact of human settlement. It is December, and the ground in my northern setting should be frozen and snow covered. Instead, I see green grass and spring flowers fooled by record setting warm weather. They pop their heads up thinking, ‘all is well’.

Those who ignore or discredit the impact of climate change are like these unseasonable plants. Devastation awaits all life on our planet unless we take immediate corrective action.

As individuals we can make a positive difference. We can make choices to change our personal beliefs, attitudes and actions. And we must make the decision to start with ourselves. My promise is to act with intentional respect towards the environment and fellow humans.

The steps we need to make the change that will help ensure a better quality of life for all earthly creatures are not new. Reduce carbon use. Reduce waste. Reduce energy use. Reduce consumption of unnecessary products. Recycle and reuse. Buy local products. Buy local foods.

I live in a home where I can walk to just about everything I need. I ignore fashion and wear clothing that suits the environment. I turn off lights when not needed and control the thermostat. I eat local food. I utilize electronic communication instead of paper wherever possible.

I consciously try to treat all people with respect and kindness.

We must celebrate human differences. We are not all the same, but we all enter and leave the world the same way. We must accept that others have the right to live their lives peacefully, without negative judgments.

Can the balance of nature be restored? Can a world full of differences live in peace? Yes, I think so. It starts with every person on earth recognizing that we are interdependent. Humans must choose to live within careful boundaries of nature’s abundance. Humans must choose to live harmoniously.

As the curtain falls on the dark news stories of 2015, there is hope. Individuals can make changes for a better world story. I choose to give this message to the world.

Be the change…and this choice changes everything.

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.