Why won't grown children allow grandma time with grandchild?

Cinrich
I have friend whose grown son and his wife set time limits on when my friend can visit her only grandchild. Her son talked her in to moving from her home of 35 years to the town that he ans his family live in. She was an excellent mother to him ans his sister and raised them as a single mother.They were brought up right. She was never abusive in any way and always did the right thing by her children. She has lived in this town for about 2 years now and has only seen her grandson about 5 times. She put this same son through law school and paid all his tuition. She has gone out of her way so many times to try to see her grandson more but they always have an excuse, too tired,too busy,etc.
Why would an otherwise loving son allow this to happen?She is heartbroken. She wants so bad to be a loving grandma and isn't allowed to be.
Comment by Joy3120

My heart goes out to your friend. I hear stories like this far too often! If we morhers of boys seem to be especially vulnerable to slighted. As a mother of all boys - now adults, I read so much on the "in-laws." I work really hard to have a relationship with my daughter-in-law and for the most part it's working. I respect that my son has pledged his life to her. I am proud of the husband and father he has become. After all that I have put into raising my son, I've also had to come to terms with being second to my daughter-in-law's family. I see my grandkids a lot because I'm asked to babysit often. The reality is they are the center of our relationship.

The rewards of parenting are bitter sweet! Your friend needs supportive friends like you appear to be.
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:34:37 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.