The State of Speech

klodwick
I hate to be the bearer of bad news folks but I'm afraid the term freedom of speech should probably be changed to the freedom of some speech. It is a little telling of my age but when I was growing up in the sixty's and seventies it was taken very seriously, however today I see a complete reversal. Our parents and teachers used to recite to us from an early age the old “sticks and stones” saying and it was for a reason, it is true. We used to say, “I don't agree with you but I defend your right to say it.” Then 9/11 happened and suddenly many words contained in Webster's Dictionary are suddenly outlawed in the name of security. Don't type certain words into an email, text, chat window or blog, or whisper any of those same words on a street sidewalk or airport property. And now, if your a pastor of a church in some counties you cannot speak against homosexuality and if you don't think it can happen here or include almost any other group or subject I think your mistaken. We could say at this point most of the fears of loss of freedom of speech is societal pressure not legal pressure, but it is the tendency of the politics of today that anything groups of people dislike they push to get something done legally about it. The homosexual wedding cake case seems to me to be a perfect example of law trumping free speech. I know the arguments against the business, but I see it as a freedom of speech case. You also have the right not to say something. If there was a penalty to be paid by the business it should have been though loss of business due to their customer base dissatisfaction rather than a government entity penalizing them. None of us have the right to not be offended, and myself as well as everyone alive have been so many times in our lives it should roll off our backs like water from a duck, but as this chilling effect goes on it makes more and more people keep their thoughts to themselves. Even in universities certain words seemingly benign to me are being banned. At the very places that used to espouse the sanctity of freedom of speech. None of this is to say we should not use politeness and common sense in our speech, but look at the movies Hollywood puts out, full of profanity and every type of ethnic slurs, but thats “art” isn't it? You can't sensor art can you? But I just saw classic statues somewhere that the nude bodies portrayed by them covered with blankets on their various body parts. I guess thats to protect the children? Freedom of speech may not be gone but it is undeniably being lost.

Well, I agree with some of what you wrote. I guess I won't petition to delete the rest.
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 2:44:29 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.