Working at Amazon.com

websailor
I am working at Amazon.com in Fernley Nevada during the "peak season" (Thanksgiving through Christmas). I am almost 63 years old and I'm supposed to be retired. Why am I working at Amazon.com? Well, it's complicated:

1. I was bored so I decided to switch from "retired" to "semi-retired".

2. I need/want a little extra cash.

3. My 18 year old grandson, Dillon, wanted to find his "first job" and I thought it would be fun to work with him.

4. I was hoping I could serve as a good example to Dillon and "show him what the real world of the basic american worker is all about".

How is it working for me? Well, it is hard physically; it took me two or three weeks to get used to the grind but it was very gratifying to discover that my 62 year old body can actually do hard work after all those years behind a desk. It was even more gratifying to observe that my grandson's 18 year old body took a while to adjust as well (not as long as grandpa though). I have lost about 15 pounds, my legs feel 10 years younger and I have made the extra money I was looking for so, I guess, all in all the experience has been a success.

As for Dillon, I think the experience has been good for him. He has proven to himself and the world that he can handle a hard, physical job. He has a new bank account and is depositing his own paycheck (mostly to savings I am proud to report). He seems to walk with a new confidence. Working in the Amazon.com warehouse during the peak season is very difficult and he has handled it well.

We still have two weeks to go, however, and we have gone into 5 day a week, 11 hour days (55 hours per week) mode on the night shift. If I live I will follow up on this story.

That is great on all accounts! Your personal reasons to find some extra work after retirement seems to echo the thoughts of many retirees I have talked with and observed. The reason that strikes me though is that of the values you sought to help instill into your grandson! I personally feel that this is so important for our youth these days.

Not to mention the bonding between two generations! The memories and values that this experience has brought both of you should be with you both for life. I believe it takes a certain closeness to begin with to be able to pull this off, and with that kind of strength to begin with, I can only see it as a growing sense of togetherness for grandson and grandpa! We look forward to an update on how this operation turned out. Thanks for the inspiration and keep us posted!
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 8:59:59 AM
Comment by websailor

Thanks for the comment. Dillon and I are now on 60 hour weeks until Christmas. Yes, we were close before this started and, yes, we are closer now. I expected Dillon to learn and to gain some perspective. My biggest surprise is how much it has inspired and helped me; how much I have enjoyed being with him on a daily (nightly) basis.

I am also gaining a whole new perspective on "temp" workers. As a manager/trainer for many years I hired many "temps" and was dimly aware that the American temporary worker is, very much , a second class citizen in the working world. But, I will save this for another post after we have finished our assignment. Again, thanks for the kind words.
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:44:39 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.