There's An App For That: Why Not Getting Lost Is A Good Thing

penny4yourthoughts
There’s An APP for that:
Why Not Getting Lost Is A Good Thing

I love technology, and have many APPS on my phone and other devices. So technology is not particularly a problem for me at my age. I taught school for many years so I retired ahead of the game with a comfortable appreciation of the Internet and the all powerful APPS. I love the game, information and productivity APPS I use, but there was no hesitation when I thought about which APP was my favorite. Google Maps…hands down!

Since I have never had a strong sense of direction, I should not be surprised that as I get older this fact is illuminated in so many ways. I now have a husband and adult children, not to mention many well-meaning friends who point out to me on a regular basis how inept I am at knowing how to get to places.

That would make Google Maps my most favorite APP, and my new best friend. The lady who guides me to and fro never says “hey stupid, you made a wrong turn”, or giggles when I miss my exit on the Interstate. She is always kind and just recalculates to re route me to my destination.

One of my favorite attributes of this handy APP is that it is so user friendly. I have no problem plugging in my locations or readjusting my settings to avoid stalled traffic on the highways or an accident tie-up. An added bonus is the visual on my screen that shows the direction of the upcoming turn so if I am in the wrong lane I can maneuver to the correct one prior to the exit.

Someone suggested to me that I have become dependent on this APP and that it would benefit me more if I would just figure it out on my own. Really? Not a chance. I love my new friend and trust her completely. I never plan a trip without her. So glad we found one another. Not getting lost is a good thing.

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.