"Fight or Flight"

007pandas
Fight or Flight
******************
The love story of Jeb and Suzy.

On the first day of kindergarten Jeb & Suzy were seated at the same table when she leaned over, whispered into Jeb’s ear, and said. We are going to be married one day.

After school, Suzy told her mother, who she was going to marry and her mother laughed, just as Jeb’s mother laughed when she was told the news.
What they didn’t know is that Suzy was serious about her prediction and she told her mother every so often throughout her elementary school years.

Suzy’s mother became a little annoyed with her daughters predictions finally telling Suzy. You will wait until you are in the 7th grade to be boyfriend, girlfriend and finish high school before getting married. So, Suzy stopped telling everyone she will marry Jeb.

Now, Jeb, was your typical boy who never considered Suzy’s declaration at all. However, he took every opportunity he could to avoid Suzy in their three room school house

Jeb stood 5’11, but barely weighed 100 pounds with a heavy coat and boots. He was a handsomely cute boy with red hair, an angelic face, but, he was always taller than kids his own age and most teachers. Plainly said, Jeb was skinny.
Because of Jeb’s height many kids call him names like, “Red Tooth Pick, ” “Red Stick, ” and the one he hated the most, “Skinny sickle. ”

Suzy was a cute little blonde haired pixie, standing 4’10” inches tall wishing to weigh 60 pounds with wet close on. To this day, she has never grown an inch more, although she has packed on another fifty pounds.

Now, on the first day of school when they started the seventh grade, during lunch. Suzy walked from her lunch table to Jeb’s table where he was eating a peanut butter sandwich with his friends.

Suzy stood in front of Jeb, and told him. “We are going steady.” Jeb nodded his head in agreement and so began the courtship of Suzy and Jeb. Suzy turned and walked back to her table.

During high school, Jeb grew another 9-inches to 6’8” inches. They were high school sweet-hearts and when Jeb found a toy ring inside a box of “Cracker Jacks” he gave it to Suzy during school lunch their sophomore year. Jeb did pack on another twenty pounds in high school. Yet it was hard as heck to hit him in a snow-ball fight when he turned sideways.

Two months before Jeb’s high school graduation, Jeb enlisted and was accepted into the US Army. He was proud as a skinny rooster as he strutted around town. He was scheduled to leave for training two days after his high school graduation.

The news, Jeb was accepted into the army brought him lots of attention in the small coal mining town in Putney Kentucky. Many in the town thought he was too tall for the military.

Now, the day after his enlistment, whenever anyone called him a nickname, he confronted them which always led to a fight.

He fought his two younger sisters, who were just as tall, but a hundred and fifty plus pounds heavier. He fought several of his close friends and enemies and whoops them all!

Because of the fights Jeb gained that respect from all who lived in town, but most importantly, the fights impressed Suzy who was so proud of Jeb.

Suzy, has told Jeb for years to standup to those who called him names as he should demand the respect. He deserves. She was proud to be Jeb’s girl friend.

The evening after their high school graduation, knowing Jeb was leaving for the military in two days. Jeb and Suzy, hiked a familiar trail, up a mountain to view the sunset. Jeb was going to propose marriage on the mountain top and when he did, Suzy easily and quickly accepted. So they plan to be married in the afternoon the following day.

So as the sun settled behind the Kentucky Mountains, the two began walking back to town a couple of miles away, to tell everyone the good news.

They were holding hands when noises in the woods startled them both and believed it was their friends attempting to scare them.

So they yelled, calling the names of friends they assumed were trying to frighten them. They stopped several times to yell into the woods, but no one acknowledged them.

Now, as they walked, the noises continued from the woods and Jeb picks up his pace. With his long legs, he was dragging Suzy behind him. As the path become darker with the setting sun, they were terrified and tears began to stream down Suzy’s face as she tried to keep up.

Then suddenly, with the loud crash of breaking tree branches. Jeb stopped in his tracks, and looking down into Suzy’s eyes. He could see the tears on her cheeks. He asked, did you hear that? Looking up to Jeb, Suzy, said yes! Now what are you gong to do?

But, before he could answer, a large black bear, standing on his rear legs, ten yards away at the edge of the wood line, stood looking downward staring at the two.

Jeb, looked into, Suzy’s eyes, and said, "I don’t know about you, but you better keep up," and with that, he began running, screaming and yelling for help, all the way home.

Jeb’s screams could be heard at his home, and his mother, father, and sisters ran out of the house towards Jeb’s screaming voice. One of his sisters was carrying her shotgun running towards the sound of Jeb’s screaming voice. When they found Jeb running on the trail, they ask him what happen.

Jeb's, breathing was out of control, sweating profusely, and his redden face showed the terror and horror he had just seen.

In between breaths, he explained he saw a bear on the trail at least eight or nine feet tall standing on its rear legs. His mother asked, where is Suzy?

When Jeb didn’t answer, she asked again with anger in her southern voice. WHERE IS SUZY?

Now, there was an awkward moment of silence, until Suzy was heard running up to them, and yelled, I’m right here, Mama Collier. Jeb took off running and screaming so loud he scared the bear away.

Suzy was so angry with Jeb, she yelled telling him, they were not getting married tomorrow! I'm not talking to you until you return from your Army training and walked off towards town with Mr. and Mrs. Collier and his two sisters.

Over the following months, Suzy did not respond to any of Jeb's letters.

But, when Jeb returned home after training, he was on his knees begging Suzy to forgive him for leaving her on the trial and he begged her to marry him.

After a couple of hours of pleading his love for Suzy, she accepted his proposal to marry and they were married the next day.

Today marked 60 years ago, the last time Jeb left Suzy behind.
Comment by Suzanne

Beautiful story. I have to assume that this is your "true love" story. If so, congratulations to you for sixty years of "never being left behind again." Some guys just need to learn the hard way!
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:24:46 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.