Animals: Every Little Girl Wants a Horse

bfrances

My husband had a friend who let us use his family’s cabin for fishing weekends. The place came complete with catfish ponds, and a wonderful old rodeo house, that responded to voice commands.

He was the perfect children’s horse and our two daughters were enthralled. Eventually we became owners of the horse. We didn’t have to pay anything for him; he was a gift. But, you know that old saying, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” Well, we should have looked this one in the mouth because we soon found out he had the heaves. That meant several hundred dollars in vet fees, and visits to the stable twice day to give Brownie his pills.

Eventually we got our older daughter a new, younger horse. Again we were quite naive about horse trading. Whereas, the first one was too old and ill, this one was too young and inexperienced. My daughter was in her teens and didn’t want to ride competitively. She just wanted a horse for trail riding. However, he was more comfortable in the riding ring.

We didn’t have the foresight to have her get professional training with the horse. We were just letting the previous owner work with her and the horse, while we were going through a lease-to-own process. After a fall or two, while the horse was spooked on a trail ride; and, not being able to trailer him so that we could move him closer to our home, my daughter suddenly wanted out of the whole thing.

She had recently stopped ballet, because she wasn’t getting the parts she thought she should have. The horse was more complicated then she thought it would be, and she was asked to be on the swim team. All these things made her tell her Dad that she was no longer interested in having a horse.

I thought her father would think this was a good idea, since we were paying $130.00 a month for boarding, and swimming at school was free. But, somehow he took it as a personal affront. She might be quitting dance, but she darn sure needed to stick with the horse. He was shelling out $l,500.00 for the ultimate girl’s fantasy; he got a lawyer friend’s help to draft the lease agreement; and now, his daughter was saying “No thanks!”

I was perplexed, because I was relieved. I was the one who drove her to the stable at least twice a week, then waited around while she worked with the horse. I pulled my husband aside and explained that it was a win-win situation. “Honey, look how much money, gas and time we’d save.”

After a little contemplative thought, he began to see the error of his thinking. I think it was a prideful moment for him. His thinking was that he had given one of his princesses everything she had asked for, and this was how she was repaying him! We ended our lease and got all our money back.

I've never understood why girls and horses go together. My wife, raised on a farm, always had horses and now wants another; my niece, raised in a city... I'm so sorry your horses didn't work out, but I vote for swimming.
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 1:10:28 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.