Weather: California Dreaming

bfrances
Having been born in California, I grew up without worrying much about weather. Now that I’m older, I wonder how we got along without air-conditioning. I don’t remember heat being a problem as a kid. However, the recent snow in California made me remember that in the fifties, when I was around ten, we had a day of light snow. I had never seen snow and it was great fun for a brief time

The first house we bought didn’t have air-conditioning, but the second did; and, by that time we were grateful for it. Our two little girls could come in when it was too hot to play outside; and, my husband could sit and relax with a cold beer after an afternoon of gardening.

When the girls were little we bought a farm near his brother’s place in southern Idaho. We went up in the summer and put in a window air-conditioner, because it was hot when we were there during July. In the fall it was cold and could rain. We installed a propane heater for warmth and had cozy fires in our Franklin stove. My sister-in-law would often say that in Idaho there were two seasons: July, August and winter.

The first fall I flew up with the girls on a friend’s Cherokee 6. Things were fine on the way up, but on the return flight we had icing on the wings and landed in Vegas. We stayed at Circus Circus, which was fun for the kids. They had never seen red-flocked wallpaper.

We often went up around Thanksgiving. Once in awhile we had a scary trip up, with some snow and ice on the ground as we traveled, even with our four-wheel drive
SUV. It only snowed twice when we were actually there. The second time we couldn’t make it home for school and work. However, my husband’s phone call to his office, saying he wouldn’t be in as scheduled, made them laugh. We could hear the guffaws and comments of “Yeah! Sure!” coming from our three-party-line phone. They didn’t seem to believe him. This was before the internet and the Weather Channel, so snow in our little town of under three thousand wasn’t on their radar.

The girls were thrilled. The snow was just right for play; and, soon they were outside in their parkas, scarves and rain boots making a three foot high snowman with their cousin. They put one of their scarves around his neck and gave him a carrot for a nose.

Just recently we attended our nephew’s wedding in Colorado and it rained during the photo shoot. But, of course, that’s good luck. And, so far it’s working!

We now live in the moderate climate of central coast California, considering ourselves fortunate to live in “Paradise”. Many homes still don’t have air- conditioning, because there are so few days when it seems necessary. With the extremes of weather we’ve had recently we consider ourselves quite lucky!

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.