Time Travel

Suzanne
What do a song, a fragrance, and a friend have in common? If they are old enough, they have the power to transport us back in time. Luckily for me, when it happens, I typically end up in a good place. I am not sure if that is because I have blocked out most of my painful memories, or if I just choose to see my past as positive.

For instance, I can hear Crimson and Clover, by Tommy James and the Shondells and think of my first slow dance when I was in Junior High. The guy broke my heart a month later by announcing that he was "going steady" with someone else. The memory of that heartbreak seems insignificant in comparison to the memory of that dance. It is a tender memory of the sweet innocence of first love that I will always cherish.

Windsong is a fragrance that I wore for years and is still around today. I don't see it often, but when I do, I splash a little on - just to experience the memories. It has a musky scent that was very popular forty years ago, but it gives me a headache today so I can no longer wear it. Still, it was the scent that defined me during a period of struggle - Young, smart, lots of potential and NOT A CLUE. The recollection of that girl makes me proud of who I have become.

Old friends know and reflect my history. It is good to be reminded of where I came from and to be humble and appreciative of lessons learned in childhood. They offer the kind of unconditional acceptance and depth of friendship that is hard to come by in new relationships. It always amazes me that conversations tend to pick up where they left off, even if months or even years have passed since our last meeting. I always feel like the best version of myself in the presence of an old friend.

I love being swept up in a good memory. I experience comfort, strength, pride, longing, gratitude, love, acceptance and sometimes even deliverance while visiting the past. It was during the creation of memories that I became the person that I am today. I rarely dwell on "what if's" and "should haves," and simply appreciate what is. It is a good place to be.

We, retirees, are at a stage in life when most of our memories have already been created. Do you see the past as the best time of your life, or do you think the future still holds untold possibilities?

I find it easier to remember the long agos than the yesterdays, but thank you for a lovely post.
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:39:44 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.