Teenager in Love: My Hero

bfrances
I was sixteen, going on seventeen. It was in January of 1957 when I met my future husband. I walked into College Prep English and surveyed the room. It was an overflow class that consisted of only seventeen students. The room was filled with great-looking and smart students. I looked around and picked out three good-looking fellows that interested me. Almost immediately, I eliminated two of them. They were super cute but I realized they were probably out of my league. I thought I looked okay, but I had often wished that I was prettier. Looking back at my teenage self in photographs, I didn’t realize, at the time, how cute I really was.

There was random seating that first day. The next day the teacher had assigned us
seating in alphabetical order. My heart skipped a beat when I realized that Bachelor Number Three had been assigned to a seat next to me. He had a crew cut,
startlingly blue eyes, wore a white tee shirt and jeans, a navy nylon windbreaker and tennis shoes, the fashionable teenage boy’s attire of the day. He could have been a tall, dark-haired James Dean. I was immediately in love.

Throughout the semester I learned about him. He was the oldest of five. The youngest had been born the previous December. It sounded like so much fun. I think I fell in love with his family, even before I met them. He told me about hunting deer with his father in Southern California. The family would go by train to South Dakota to visit grandparents and hunt pheasants in the fall. His father was a right-a-way agent for the railroad and they had passes. He told me he was also taking archery lessons.

We didn’t have assigned seating during assemblies; but, he always managed to
find seating next to me. I saved jokes to tell him; and, I’m pretty sure he did the same for me. By the time I had the courage to ask him to the Sadie Hawkins Dance, he had already been asked. At the dance he decided to try some chewing tobacco a friend handed him. Afterwards, they went out for pizza. He then proceeded to threw up. Thank goodness! I was thrilled that he didn’t have a good time. He finally asked me out; however, it was after prom. He told me later that he didn’t want to spend the money, because he wanted to buy a bow. Did I mention he was taking archery classes?

After we had been going out for a little while, he came to my house, telling me he wanted me to see something He opened the trunk of his car to show me what looked like a dead Bambi. Since I was so in love, I immediately said, “My hero”. To this day, I think it was a test. If I had passed out, I probably wouldn’t be married to Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome today.

Congratulations on passing the test and thank you for recounting your romance.
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:12:04 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April Teenager in Love essay being selected as our first place Adult winner.

We will be contacting you via your registration email to give you details about your prizes.

Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:56:39 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.