What's Your Word

Suzanne
A friend of mine chooses a word each year that she can relate to as a guiding light of sorts. Last year she inspired me to do likewise. My thinking is that one word, thoughtfully selected could promote change, as well or possibly better, than a long list of New Year Resolutions. Last year I wanted to do more than resolve to change; I wanted to "define" a singular focus that would guide me to change. So, I searched for one tidy, little word that would sum up my hopes and dreams for the year 2013.

After a lot of consideration, I chose the word, 'perspective.' It presented itself to me as an antidote to disappointment and anxiety. I wanted my word to remind me to stay within my own framework; to focus on my own goals and desires and to pursue a life that is purposeful, joyful, balanced and uniquely my own.

My word reminds me to evaluate my surroundings, to be optimistic, to celebrate little things, to be kind even when I feel frustrated and to accept that much of life is beyond my control. Every day can't be blissful, but my attitude can be improved and little disappointments won't manifest into big ones if I remember to put things into perspective.

My word has served me well and I have felt less anxious about life going forward this past year. There were disappointments, but when one happened, I did not dwell. Acknowledging my feelings and examining the disappointment in the context of perspective freed me to move on. I met challenges with confidence and eagerly embraced my continually evolving retirement life.

During the next few weeks, I will wait for a new word to guide me through the year 2014. I have no idea what it might be. It may reveal itself during a quiet time or in the middle of chaos. Something weighing on my mind will surely push it forward. I will let you know when I hear it.

Curiosity, freedom, devotion, hope, expectation, gratitude, ignite, fearless, selfless ...what will your word for 2014 be?

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.