Using Positive Self-Talk to Conquer Any Goal

swaktexas
Do you feel like you are always talking yourself out of success or accomplishments? As soon as you start to set goals for yourself, do you suddenly have nagging thoughts about how you aren't up to the task or how you simply aren't qualified to carry it through?

If you have ever experienced either situation, you need to change the way you respond to your inner dialogue. I call it those "voices in your head." Isn't there a country song about hearing voices? I guess it goes to prove you aren't the only one that hears them. You know the saying - if it's in a country song then it's true. Instead of obeying your negative commands, you can use positive self-talk to counter the negativity and overcome nearly all anxious thoughts.

Are you initially filled with excitement when you first set goals for yourself? Are these thoughts then followed by self-doubt and self-defeating thoughts that stop you in your tracks before you even get started?

It can be difficult to make the most of your life when you are constantly talking yourself out of being a success. It can be frustrating and discouraging to have these thoughts constantly plaguing you. Many of us, in fact, don't even realize we have them! All we know is that we don't have the confidence to stick to our plans and reach our goals.

Positive self-talk is an effective way to set goals and ensure that you stick to them, even if you have never been able to do this before.

The way this works is that you decide what goal is important to you, and then you plan the logistics (the actions) of how you are going to attain this goal. When self-doubt starts kicking in, you will respond with affirmations that prove your success without surrendering to the negative pressure. Since you're reading this article, it's clear that you're no quitter and you're certainly not a failure, so start believing in yourself!

Affirmations are essentially positive statements that re-program your mind for the positive. The moment you have a self-defeating thought you'd be able to counter the negative with a motivating statement. An example of a positive affirmation is: "I am worthy of great success," or "I see myself in the winner's circle." What this does is replace negativity with thoughts that will help you move toward your goals instead of further away from them.

Positive self-talk is easier to implement than you might think. You may not be aware of the severity of the negative dialogue currently within your mind. However, once you begin with positive self-talk, you will suddenly realize that you are self-sabotaging the goals you set for yourself from the minute that you make them. This process can be a real eye-opener to exactly how much this inner conversation has been totally sabotaging your life. You'll feel hopeful that you can now set goals and surpass them.

Through positive self-talk you will be able easily set long and short-term goals for yourself. And when you use affirmations, you'll have accessible tools to help you push yourself further than ever before. Learning to quiet negativity with positive thoughts is a great move toward setting and attaining future goals with ease.

I recently was struggling with my creativity and was hitting road block after road block. I was becoming very discouraged and thinking there was no way I was going to accomplish the goal I had set.

I ended up creating an "I AM" poster of positive "I AM" statements and had it near my desk so I could easily see it. As soon as negativity tried to creep in I looked at my poster.

I would have to say it helped me over the hurdle and now I'm SO VERY close to accomplishing the goal I was struggling with.

Encouragement might help, so best wishes on progressing from so very close to a goal accomplished. You're doing great.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:12:56 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you as being selected as the winner in our September / Goal Setting writing contest! This is a huge honor and you should celebrate your accomplishment. We will be contacting you via your registration email for prize details.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 6:36:15 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.