STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Need To Lead

Suzanne
Tennis season begins in five weeks and as Captain of two teams I am obligated to the job until April. I don't mind the work, in fact I welcome it, but it is a commitment that can potentially disrupt my peaceful life. Organizing players and substitutes, attending practices and matches, recording scores and constantly communicating with team members, league representatives and the club pro adds a whole new dimension to my otherwise balanced retirement. As Charity Director for my community Women's Club, I am responsible for organizing our major event of the season, which will happen in December. Caterers, invitations, decorations, entertainment, and committee meetings are just some of the balls I will be juggling for the next couple of months. I will have help every step of the way, but ultimately the success or failure will be on me.

Being retired means that the only "leadership" roles that I will ever have again are the ones that are of my choosing. I don't know about you, but sometimes I miss being in charge. To scratch the itch, I take on a short-term project or two, if only to prove to myself that I still have it. While neither of these projects will have a "global impact," they are important to me and I take my role seriously. My criteria is very simple for deciding when to step up. I have to care. I cannot ask people to follow my lead if I am not fully committed to a project. I need to feel that I have something to add and new energy to infuse. Otherwise, the project is not for me. Once the passion and commitment has been established, I jump in with both feet and don't look back until it is done.

My "need to lead" in purely an interior operation and does not depend on the expectations of gratitude or accolades of any sort. I like the pressure of having to perform, meeting deadlines and maintaining order. It was not always like that, and I can remember being under tremendous pressure during my years in HR. The obvious difference now is that my livelihood no longer hangs in the balance of my performance. I liked my work back then, but having a paycheck connected to the outcome altered my perspective and I never truly enjoyed the process. My objective was always consistent with the bottom line.

When these two positions end, regardless of the outcome, there will be no one there to hand me a bonus check or to say, "you're fired." My reward will be simply that I did it.

How about you? How have your leadership experiences been different since retiring.
Rate this:
Comment by warren

Having retired, I'm perfectly content to be retired. Before retiring, I always appreciated those who felt the need to lead. Well, most of the time.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:24:05 PM
Rate this:

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy