The Need To Lead

Suzanne
Tennis season begins in five weeks and as Captain of two teams I am obligated to the job until April. I don't mind the work, in fact I welcome it, but it is a commitment that can potentially disrupt my peaceful life. Organizing players and substitutes, attending practices and matches, recording scores and constantly communicating with team members, league representatives and the club pro adds a whole new dimension to my otherwise balanced retirement. As Charity Director for my community Women's Club, I am responsible for organizing our major event of the season, which will happen in December. Caterers, invitations, decorations, entertainment, and committee meetings are just some of the balls I will be juggling for the next couple of months. I will have help every step of the way, but ultimately the success or failure will be on me.

Being retired means that the only "leadership" roles that I will ever have again are the ones that are of my choosing. I don't know about you, but sometimes I miss being in charge. To scratch the itch, I take on a short-term project or two, if only to prove to myself that I still have it. While neither of these projects will have a "global impact," they are important to me and I take my role seriously. My criteria is very simple for deciding when to step up. I have to care. I cannot ask people to follow my lead if I am not fully committed to a project. I need to feel that I have something to add and new energy to infuse. Otherwise, the project is not for me. Once the passion and commitment has been established, I jump in with both feet and don't look back until it is done.

My "need to lead" in purely an interior operation and does not depend on the expectations of gratitude or accolades of any sort. I like the pressure of having to perform, meeting deadlines and maintaining order. It was not always like that, and I can remember being under tremendous pressure during my years in HR. The obvious difference now is that my livelihood no longer hangs in the balance of my performance. I liked my work back then, but having a paycheck connected to the outcome altered my perspective and I never truly enjoyed the process. My objective was always consistent with the bottom line.

When these two positions end, regardless of the outcome, there will be no one there to hand me a bonus check or to say, "you're fired." My reward will be simply that I did it.

How about you? How have your leadership experiences been different since retiring.

Having retired, I'm perfectly content to be retired. Before retiring, I always appreciated those who felt the need to lead. Well, most of the time.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:24:05 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.