Questions and Stories about Grandparents

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that grandparents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a grandparent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Grandparents Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Make a Difference

I am the mother of 2 biological sons and an adopted daughter ( adopted her when she was a teen). 1 son has no children yet. Other son has teenage stepchild and his wife is expecting their 1st child. Daughter has our 1st grandchild, then married and had her 2nd child (our 3rd grandchild) and now expecting her 3rd child. We have always helped all 3 of our children anyway we could. Our daughter we have helped more due to the majority of the time she had been a single parent.she even withholds me

I always wanted to be a mother. When our first child was born in 1972, my husband and I agreed that I would stay home and spend full time with this much-loved little girl. I could always finish my teacher training later.

However, my husband, an amateur astronomer, wanted to travel to West Africa the following summer to view a solar eclipse. Now at home, it fell to me to plan that rather daunting trip. Spurred on by his wistful “Wouldn’t it be great to watch the eclipse from Timbu

Planning for Play – Keep it Simple

When I was a teacher, my lesson plan book went to school with me every day. During summer vacation I planned the year’s goals, objectives, and activities; and during short breaks and weekends I tweaked them to allow for the emergent curriculum that happily sneaks in when we allow it to do so.

When I began caring for my granddaughter nearly five years ago I planned ahead also. At first I simply made sure that the house was dusted and the

Be The Change: One Person at a Time
Things have changed since I was young, some for the good, and some not so good. The new technology has made it possible for people to communicate with others around the world in real time, which has brought families together, who previously had not seen each other in years. In fact, this year I was able to attend a Christmas party at my daughter’s home over 500 miles away through Skype, and even watched the grandkids open their gifts.

However

Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to do something important. I wanted to be the childhood figures I’d seen in cartoons, like Pocahontas. I wanted to be as caring and understanding as Snow White. I wanted to change lives like Mulan. When you’re a kid, everything seems easy, the world is at your feet, and you have this mindset that when you get older you can do anything. Now that I am older, nothing is simple, the world seems out of reach, and I know life isn’t boundless but has many l

Winning the lottery can be

a) a game akin to a childhood daydreaming;
b) a serious spiritual exploration of greed and generosity; or
c) a way to clarify one's values.
Or any combination of these.

I would ask myself the question: How would winning a lot of money change my life? Would it be mostly good or mostly complicated? How would it affect my relationships? My lifestyle? Will big money lead to greed or generosity?

Mission, vision and values:

My sons and daughter and I and a total of their four kids took a cruise to Baja California. It really is a perfect family vacation because it’s self-contained. All of the food, a state room, two swimming pools, entertainment, and a gym onboard made a fun-filled week for us all. There was a club for the kids with a secure registration policy offering games and fun, allowing the parents an hour or two by themselves.
My favorite part became our evening meals. We had the same wait-staff

The year was 1957.Sixty-one desks on wooden runners were occupied by at least as many third graders. Instead of the usual intimidating nun standing in the front of the room, the class focused their gaze on a petite young woman with dark-cropped hair and friendly blue eyes known as Miss Catherine.

From the start, I knew third grade would be memorable. Miss Catherine had the ability to generate excitement and infuse her lessons with novelty and fun. To be sure, I learned

How quickly the fingers point at teachers when the educational system has failed so many students; the same students that go out into our world as our leaders, job creators, and contributors of society. A reality check shows that teachers are only a part of the equation for the epidemic levels of illiteracy in the 21st Century. Understanding the subtleties of our educational system will lead to a resolution.

According to the Department of Education, the Office of Educational Research

Recently I’ve experienced a milestone. I have been delighting in the fulfillment of a promise I made to myself. Often, people my age shelve their dreams and neglect to consider their possibilities. They have traded in what used to be important to them for what they have come to settle for, telling themselves that it is too late. I refuse to believe that it is ever too late.
When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I had no idea what was in store for me then. The road that I was o