Questions and Stories about Grandparents

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that grandparents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a grandparent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Grandparents Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Family

I did not wish to invite my ex husband to my birthday party. My children expect their father to attend. Why are they upset I do nto want him to come to MY party?

Life can be complicated, with trials and tribulations from birth to death, and all the convoluted paths we travel in between. Having a sense of humor helps us smooth the rough edges of life.

When we are annoyed by the neighborhood sound of a loud automobile horn honking and ask at the dinner table, “Who could be doing that!” and the reply from our seven-year-old daughter is “Beeps me!”, all is right in the world again!

When we don’t take ourselves too seriously and

I am the mother of 2 biological sons and an adopted daughter ( adopted her when she was a teen). 1 son has no children yet. Other son has teenage stepchild and his wife is expecting their 1st child. Daughter has our 1st grandchild, then married and had her 2nd child (our 3rd grandchild) and now expecting her 3rd child. We have always helped all 3 of our children anyway we could. Our daughter we have helped more due to the majority of the time she had been a single parent.she even withholds me

The Secret of Happiness: This Boy Brought Joy

The day my grandson started kindergarten was bittersweet. I had spent three of his preschool years with him after losing my job, but I found out that happiness isn’t necessarily related to a real job or payment in cash.
I can’t begin to enumerate the wonderful things I learned while sharing each day with him.
I got re-acquainted with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 20 years after we first met.
Turtle P

I always wanted to be a mother. When our first child was born in 1972, my husband and I agreed that I would stay home and spend full time with this much-loved little girl. I could always finish my teacher training later.

However, my husband, an amateur astronomer, wanted to travel to West Africa the following summer to view a solar eclipse. Now at home, it fell to me to plan that rather daunting trip. Spurred on by his wistful “Wouldn’t it be great to watch the eclipse from Timbu

Our daughter in law has decided that her kids (our Grandkids) do not need to go to school, not even homeschooled. My wife and I disagree but do not want to cause trouble by doing anything about it. We feel that all kids need an education as well as the social aspect of going to school and mixing with other kids. They are both bright kids but have no social skills at all. They do not know how to have a conversation except with their mother. They have no set times for anything, no structure in th

In most marriage ceremonies a statement is made to the couple, "two shall become one".for the first 20 years of our marriage..My husband is no longer one with me. He is one but It is with our
Adult married children. Our first daughter is pregnant. Time came for her. 4D ultrasound. She invited her mother to in law and excluded me. My heart felt crushed. My daughtet stumbled around fabricating statements, how the ultrasound was Tuesday, but how she corrected herself
Before we left. I

Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to do something important. I wanted to be the childhood figures I’d seen in cartoons, like Pocahontas. I wanted to be as caring and understanding as Snow White. I wanted to change lives like Mulan. When you’re a kid, everything seems easy, the world is at your feet, and you have this mindset that when you get older you can do anything. Now that I am older, nothing is simple, the world seems out of reach, and I know life isn’t boundless but has many l

My grandfather is dead,
these words put together should never be said.
They say he is still here within me,
but it is not the same as it used to be.
I miss his jokes, his voice, his laugh,
How did time go by so fast?
It has only been two months since he died
everyday since then I have cried.
Everyone tries to lend a hand,
but they did not know him like I did; so they cannot understand.
I am so lost, so broken, I am DONE!
Dear God, please kn

How quickly the fingers point at teachers when the educational system has failed so many students; the same students that go out into our world as our leaders, job creators, and contributors of society. A reality check shows that teachers are only a part of the equation for the epidemic levels of illiteracy in the 21st Century. Understanding the subtleties of our educational system will lead to a resolution.

According to the Department of Education, the Office of Educational Research