Questions and Stories about Grandparents

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that grandparents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a grandparent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Grandparents Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Education

Our daughter in law has decided that her kids (our Grandkids) do not need to go to school, not even homeschooled. My wife and I disagree but do not want to cause trouble by doing anything about it. We feel that all kids need an education as well as the social aspect of going to school and mixing with other kids. They are both bright kids but have no social skills at all. They do not know how to have a conversation except with their mother. They have no set times for anything, no structure in th

The year was 1957.Sixty-one desks on wooden runners were occupied by at least as many third graders. Instead of the usual intimidating nun standing in the front of the room, the class focused their gaze on a petite young woman with dark-cropped hair and friendly blue eyes known as Miss Catherine.

From the start, I knew third grade would be memorable. Miss Catherine had the ability to generate excitement and infuse her lessons with novelty and fun. To be sure, I learned

How quickly the fingers point at teachers when the educational system has failed so many students; the same students that go out into our world as our leaders, job creators, and contributors of society. A reality check shows that teachers are only a part of the equation for the epidemic levels of illiteracy in the 21st Century. Understanding the subtleties of our educational system will lead to a resolution.

According to the Department of Education, the Office of Educational Research

WORDS TO THE GRAD: BE PATIENT AND OBSERVE

Growing up I know I inherited the shy gene. I now realize that my handicap wasn’t as detrimental as I thought at the time. Because I was reluctant to get into the thick of things, I became more of an observer, rather than a participant.

I didn’t smoke because I was so nervous that I feared people would look at me and think
I wasn’t doing it right. Saved myself from lung cancer right there!

I didn’t drink because

Cameras have been in cell phones for a while, but it hasn’t been until recently that they’ve taken center stage on the teen social scene. We teenagers take photos of everything, whether it be friends at a dance, or the beautiful hamburger that just appeared on our plate.

With Instragram, we can share the photos, complete with artsy effects, with anyone who “follows” our feed. Or we can make a video montage of cool ski tricks that our friends pulled off using Vine, a six second video-

Hello All,

Stage of Life is proud to announce its latest endeavor - the development of the first mobile storytelling game! For the last three months, we have been putting our creative efforts into drafting Writing Race, a multiplayer story writing game for Apple iPhone where friends will collaboratively (or competitively) write a story together using their mobile phone.

Our idea to expand Stage of Life’s literacy initiative to the mobile realm began as some scribbling on

The story is about a project I, as a grandparent am working on to help needy lonely abandoned children. It is about a little mouse nick-named Spacey because he was always looking out into space and wondering about things. So when he heard NASA was taking on animal volunteers for one of its first space trips, he signed up, hoping to find the way to God out there. But the spaceship lands by accident in Africa and now he must find his way home. Through his experiences with some African childre

There is a movement toward offering more choices in our K-12 education systems. Charter schools and online schools are increasing. Parochial schools and home-schooling programs are also expanding. More children are leaving the traditional public school systems, not only from low achieving schools but also from those who receive excellent ratings. Do you think this will improve our educational programs? If so why is it better to have so many choices?

I am a grandmother of eight soon to be nine this fall. Two of our grandsons we are raising. We have had them for two years. They are now ages five and six. The five year old has Aspergers Syndrome so that has added little more to our raising them since we now take him for therapy sessions and other doctor appointments whom also treat him for ADHD. While the older one is doing great he did have abandonment issues so he sees a psychologist along with his younger brother to deal with those issues.