Summer reinvention: Going Home

roxie01966
This summer I will happily accompany my mom back to her hometown of Bucksport, Maine. We've visited there before but this year will be different, this year I'll be taking her, she won't be taking me. In many ways I'll be the adult, and the caretaker and she the child; a role that will be new for me and I will have to reinvent myself. I know I will have to be on high alert as I can be impatient and critical at times and there will be no place for these unfavorable traits of mine on this trip. It seems like yesterday I that I relied on her but the aging process and the recent diagnosis of macular degeneration has changed all that. My mother is 86 years old and while her short term memory is steadily fading her long term memory is as sharp as ever. More and more lately she talks of the past and her life long ago. She happily recalls the good old days now more than ever. Her beloved Maine where she grew up and met my father will be our focus. In a few weeks I will make the five hour drive to Charleston, Penobscot and Bucksport, Maine. For a few days my mother will joyfully relive her past. Charleston will bring us back to North Road where she spent countless hours on her grandparent's farm. She will talk endlessly of days gone by and the fun she had there. I will hear old familiar stories and hopefully a few new ones. I will pay closer attention when my mom talks now as I am fearful that I won't hear her stories again. We will have a picnic lunch in the old cemetery where our ancestors are buried. It is behind the church where my great great grandfather was a deacon. My mother loves it there and I will surprise her with a piece of the fresh raspberry cake she is so fond of. This is a recipe from my grandmother, one my mother is unable to orchestrate now. I only hope I can do it justice. In Penobscot we will visit the one room school house that my mother attended. It has been restored and is now a museum. More tales of the past. We will stroll down Main Street in Bucksport. It was there that her heartbreaking beautiful love story with my father began. It was during WWII, he a soldier temporally stationed on an outpost in Bucksport, and she a love struck teenager. They met at the Alamo Theater, now renovated and operating. I will surprise her with a night out including dinner and a movie there.
There will be more; the historical society, the old paper mill where my mother worked, a boat ride along the Penobscot river that holds so many memories. I know that this reinvention of my new role with my aging mother is an important one for both of us, I will do my best.

I hope your mother enjoys the trip as much as I enjoyed your post.
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:11:23 PM
Comment by roxie01966

Thank you so much. Your life sounds very interesting. Enjoy!
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 2:37:10 AM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.