STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Summer reinvention: Going Home

roxie01966
This summer I will happily accompany my mom back to her hometown of Bucksport, Maine. We've visited there before but this year will be different, this year I'll be taking her, she won't be taking me. In many ways I'll be the adult, and the caretaker and she the child; a role that will be new for me and I will have to reinvent myself. I know I will have to be on high alert as I can be impatient and critical at times and there will be no place for these unfavorable traits of mine on this trip. It seems like yesterday I that I relied on her but the aging process and the recent diagnosis of macular degeneration has changed all that. My mother is 86 years old and while her short term memory is steadily fading her long term memory is as sharp as ever. More and more lately she talks of the past and her life long ago. She happily recalls the good old days now more than ever. Her beloved Maine where she grew up and met my father will be our focus. In a few weeks I will make the five hour drive to Charleston, Penobscot and Bucksport, Maine. For a few days my mother will joyfully relive her past. Charleston will bring us back to North Road where she spent countless hours on her grandparent's farm. She will talk endlessly of days gone by and the fun she had there. I will hear old familiar stories and hopefully a few new ones. I will pay closer attention when my mom talks now as I am fearful that I won't hear her stories again. We will have a picnic lunch in the old cemetery where our ancestors are buried. It is behind the church where my great great grandfather was a deacon. My mother loves it there and I will surprise her with a piece of the fresh raspberry cake she is so fond of. This is a recipe from my grandmother, one my mother is unable to orchestrate now. I only hope I can do it justice. In Penobscot we will visit the one room school house that my mother attended. It has been restored and is now a museum. More tales of the past. We will stroll down Main Street in Bucksport. It was there that her heartbreaking beautiful love story with my father began. It was during WWII, he a soldier temporally stationed on an outpost in Bucksport, and she a love struck teenager. They met at the Alamo Theater, now renovated and operating. I will surprise her with a night out including dinner and a movie there.
There will be more; the historical society, the old paper mill where my mother worked, a boat ride along the Penobscot river that holds so many memories. I know that this reinvention of my new role with my aging mother is an important one for both of us, I will do my best.
Rate this:
Comment by warren

I hope your mother enjoys the trip as much as I enjoyed your post.
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:11:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by roxie01966

Thank you so much. Your life sounds very interesting. Enjoy!
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 2:37:10 AM
Rate this:

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy