Be The Change: One Person at a Time

oelzepatty
Be The Change: One Person at a Time
Things have changed since I was young, some for the good, and some not so good. The new technology has made it possible for people to communicate with others around the world in real time, which has brought families together, who previously had not seen each other in years. In fact, this year I was able to attend a Christmas party at my daughter’s home over 500 miles away through Skype, and even watched the grandkids open their gifts.

However, some technology has made the world a scarier place to live when terrorists are able to talk to our neighbors or even our own kids and convince them to shoot everyone or blow themselves up. It scares some people just to send their kids to school with all the school shootings and shopping malls cause anxiety attacks when you see possible “terrorists” everywhere. We have changed. They are winning because they are making us turn on each other. This has to stop.

I think it is time to start giving a smile to everyone you see, help someone who needs it even though they do not ask, post positive things on your social media pages to cheer people up. Target everyone! Not just your friends. Pick one person you think needs a smile or a hand up. Even if you do not know them. I recently had a GoFundMe account for my mother because my father passed away and I noticed the other GoFundMe accounts in the area around here. I chose three to donate to, just $25 each, and I chose the ones who did not have many donations. I have also been communicating with the family members of the people who have these accounts and am helping them in other ways. Tutoring a boy in reading whose mom could not afford to get help and had to work two jobs so she never had time to help him. I gave a bunch of our old clothes and coats away to a few families in need. Got rid of an old washing machine I was not using. These things did not cost me anything and they meant a lot to the people that I gave them to.

I also connect those in need to other people who can help. There is a young man who collects hats and blankets for the homeless asking for donations so he could give them to them at a Christmas party he was giving them. I contacted my crochet groups and he had much more than he needed!
So, think about it; what do you have that someone else may need? Time? Friendliness? A smile? It starts with you. One person at a time.

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.