A Monster Vacation

Kimbo812
A family vacation that I will never forget was to visit my grandmother in south Mississippi, she lived just a few miles from the beach in the little town of Pass Christian. We were to be there for a week but we ended up staying only a couple of days, we arrived late on Friday August 15, 1969 and left to return back home to north Louisiana early Sunday morning August 17.
I had just turned six years old, but this time is very vivid in my mind. We toured around like we normally did when we went to the coast that Saturday, my daddy used to say, “ let me show you my old stomping grounds”, he loved to reminisce, I get a little of that from him. The radio announcers as we rode around was talking about this “monster storm” named Camillie… a six year old heard monster and that is all it took to frighten me. Camille was slated to hit Florida, but now was taking aim at the central coast, which meant Mississippi. My dad said that we would wait until later that evening to see what we needed to do. By 8:00 pm, they were giving watches and telling people along the coast they should make plans to evacuate. Early on Sunday morning that is what we did, we left and headed home, my grandmother was with us, but we left my aunt and uncle behind, he was afraid to leave because of looters, so they stayed.
I can vividly remember driving the mile to the beach road to get on the main highway and seeing the dark clouds and the dark sky meeting. The water was angry, waves were almost to the seawall on the normally beautiful wide beach.
We made it safely home to Louisiana but all the way home we listened about the monster on the radio. The next day they began to show scenes from where we had just been the day before, and it looked like a monster had attacked the houses and trees. Horrible images frightened me to death, that and the fact my grandmother was crying and my mom and daddy were talking in whispers really scared me.
My mom, dad and grandmother left the next day going back to check on daddy’s family. I stayed with my mom’s brother and his wife. I had never been left like that before and I remember crying. My dad’s family was ok, my grandmother’s house was not hurt, but all of the beautiful pecan trees in her pecan orchard was gone.
Slowly the coast came back to life and stayed good until August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina changed things again. My family did not evacuate, but they were safe. My cousin’s house was destroyed and my grandmother’s was damaged.
The dates of August 17 and August 29 will forever be in my mind as the days the monsters Camille and Katrina destroyed my daddy’s, “old stomping grounds’.

I can also remember being sent home from a coastal vacation by a hurricane, though we were in North Carolina and the hurricane did minimal damage. How fortunate that your family members were safe on both occasions.
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:12:08 PM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.