Weather Story

Daisho

Only the Lord above can control the weather. Whatever we get, we have to work with.

2004 is remembered for its notorious hurricane season.
She was excited to be five years old on August 13th. My sweet granddaughter Maya’s birthday party was scheduled at Lowry Park Zoo. She had attended the preschool program which was set-up within the park. Would you believe, on just that weekend when all the families and her friends were looking forward to gather, there arose a hurricane forecast, and a bad one, too. A National Hurricane Center advisory suggested for us to stay tuned in to the updates. It was Hurricane Charley, category 4 coming directly toward us in Tampa Bay. The birthday party was quickly postponed until the next week. Ironically Charley suddenly changed his track and we were spared. But southwestern Florida took devastating damages. Several days passed and Florida weather did not give us a break. “Oh no, not again.” This time Hurricane Frances was around the corner. Dionne called to her daughter, “Maya, come here. We cancelled your birthday party. Sorry, Sweetheart.” “Why, Mama?” she asked, dumbfounded. Dionne squatted down, hugged Maya and laid her face on Maya’s head then gently smoothed her blonde hair. The mother’s feeling of helplessness was transmitted into the heart of the daughter. “Hurricane coming again, Mama?” asked Maya. “Yes, when this one is gone, we will make a reservation at your favorite Dinosaur World, okay?” “O.K. Mama, I understand.” Well-disciplined Maya looked into her mother’s eyes then looked down.

Dionne picked up the phone on the kitchen counter to make a few calls to let invited guests know the scheduled party had been cancelled. Maya was staring at the kitchen counter but listening to her mother’s every word on the phone. Francis diminished so the promised reservation was made for Dinosaur World. This Dinosaur Park advertised over 200 life-size varieties of dinosaurs in natural lush gardens; the kids love those giants of years past. Wow, even I the grandmother was excited, so how fascinating will it be to dinosaur-loving children? However the hurricanes seemed to be teasing Maya’s party; this time Ivan was developing. September 18 Ivan blasted Florida’s Panhandle area and a risky predicament was on us next.

After the dinner, Dionne and Dean were discussing what to do about this prolonged series of hurricanes and the party. Maya was in the next room cuddled with her dog, Moe. She could hear her parent’s conversation. She whispered snuggling into Moe’s face. “The universe and my birthday party just have not come to the agreement-do you understand that?” she shared the problem with her pet.

By September 26th, Hurricane Jeanne was north of Palm Beach. We gave up the party and just had cupcakes with candles on them to wish Maya a Happy Belated Birthday. The gifts held back for over a month were finally opened. Maya was delighted. I guess what was meant to be, was meant to be.

If your granddaughter were old enough to remember, she would probably remember her 5th birthday party much more than any since. I'm glad you remembered.
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 3:04:46 PM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.