Grandma Thing

kristincole99
I haven't lived in the same state as my grandmother for years now, and the last time I saw her was about three years ago. However, no matter how long I’m away from my home town, I still remember going to her house every single day for dinner. She’s probably the best cook I’ve ever met, and she’s never been taught how to do any of it. She just knows. Maybe it’s because she’s a grandma, or maybe because she’s just amazing and knows how to make food on her own. I don’t really have a favorite food, but if I did, it would be basically everything that she makes. Thanksgiving is the best day of the year. She spends all day making tons upon tons of food. She makes the best turkey I’ve ever had, with homemade mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, corn, homemade biscuits, and just oh my gosh, everything you could ever imagine that would be fitting for a Thanksgiving dinner. And it’s not even just Thanksgiving, it’s an everyday event at her house. When she makes her homemade chicken and dumplings, the delicious aroma fills the entire house, and you can’t even contain the excitement you feel from it. She came up with this unbelievably amazing recipe for homemade chicken nuggets. Every person in my family has tried to recreate it, and it’s nowhere near how good it is when she makes them. And her desserts, forget about it. Every time I go back home, she makes me a chocolate pie completely from scratch. She makes the graham cracker crust on her own, then makes this chocolate pie filling that is just completely to die for. My mom’s favorite food that she makes is a banana pudding, also made completely from scratch. Vanilla wafers, bananas, everything delicious in the world, etc. My brother’s favorite is a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. She’s given me the recipe several times, but no matter how many times I try to recreate it, it’s never the same. I sincerely think it’s because she’s a grandma that her food tastes so much better. She must pack some serious love into her food. Honestly, even if she were to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it would probably be the best sandwich I’ve ever eaten, and I don’t understand why. It’s gotta be a grandma thing.

I appreciate your tribute, but I bet your grandmother would appreciate a visit. Three years is a bit much for you to be remembering, not tasting her cooking.
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:34:15 AM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.