Identity: A Dreamer with Drive-Nurturing the Future

anitalouise
Recently I’ve experienced a milestone. I have been delighting in the fulfillment of a promise I made to myself. Often, people my age shelve their dreams and neglect to consider their possibilities. They have traded in what used to be important to them for what they have come to settle for, telling themselves that it is too late. I refuse to believe that it is ever too late.
When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I had no idea what was in store for me then. The road that I was on was diverted and to my surprise I found myself as a single mother, raising four children. Occasionally, I scraped a few dollars and a few hours together to attend a writing class, or a weekend seminar. The seeds of my dream were not allowed to thrive, but I refused to let them die.
I wrote poetry and submitted it to the editor of a newsletter, who asked for more, and published my work on a monthly basis. By staying up until the wee hours, I was able to get a couple of short stories written and in print. But, it wasn’t until my family was raised, and my children were on their own, that I finally took the time, I had promised myself once to take, and began to seriously put a novel together. Within the last few weeks, I held a copy of my book in my hands.
I have been blessed with seven wonderful grandchildren, with whom I love to spend time. They keep me young and up-to-date on the latest trends in music, fashion, movies and books. But most of all, they are my living challenge to achieve my goals and set an example that they should not set barriers on what they hope to accomplish. It is my belief that we are put on this earth to be a source of inspiration to those we love. There are so many negative influences in the cosmos, so many times that we are confronted with naysayers and told what is impossible or improbable. We need to summon the energy and drive within ourselves to bring about the moment when we reap the harvest of well earned joy.

Congratulations on a life that continues to inspire--not only your loved ones.
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:59:52 PM
Comment by rhale

Congratulations. Continue to explore new things and succeed.
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:26:49 PM
Comment by readarose

Congratulations on your awesome achievement. I, too, believe we must pursue our dreams in spite of our age or circumstances. You are a wonderful example for all!
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:08:26 AM

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.