At the Merry-Go-Round

Miriam
I had a little pony,
His name was Dapple Grey,
I lent him to a lady,
To ride a mile away.

She whipped him, she slashed him,
She rode him through the mire;
I would not lend my pony now,
For all the lady's hire.

We sang this song as children, and I dreamed of being a bareback rider in the circus. You pretended you were a roping, riding cowboy. Your bicycle had just had the training wheels removed. I was setting a speed record on the antique velocipede my father found when removing junk from an old house.

But there were ponies in our lives--the ones we sat astride as the photographer snapped our pictures. We were royalty, a prince and his princess who had yet to meet. It was fate, however, as the photographs in our family album show: the little girl with dark eyes on the pony, the little boy with curly hair on a pony, and the man and woman standing together as they were joined in matrimony.

Later, they would treat their grandchildren to rides on the merry-go-round, smiling as the calliope music brought memories of ponies.

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.