Age is a matter of perception

rndkathryn

Are you old enough to remember the Art Linkletter Show and the segment, Kids Say the Darndest Things? When my daughters were little, they said so many funny things. I wish I had written them all down because now I can’t remember half of them. My grandchildren are the witty ones now, and I have vowed to record their sayings, not just for myself, but for my daughter to enjoy as well.
A few weeks ago Grampy and I were visiting our daughter and her family of three beautiful children. In my mind, I am the more active, engaged, and younger acting grandparent. I get on the floor, which is a feat in itself, not to mention getting back up. I roll around and wrestle with my 6 year old grandson, play superheroes, build towers, and do science experiments until I have to crawl up the stairs, take massive doses of ibuprofen and put heating pads on my arthritic joints. (I make sure he doesn’t see me doing this). I think all my playing and frolicking on the floor makes me exciting and young in his eyes. I look at Grampy, sitting in his chair, drinking a beverage, watching TV, sometimes sleeping. Surely, I am much “cooler” than that!
“Mamaw, I have a question for you,” said my grandson as we were building the massive tower for the Super Heroes to destroy.
“OK, what is it?” I ask. Who knows what a 6 year old will ask you. I held my breath.
“Well, just, why are you so old and Grampy is so young?”
What? Did I hear that correctly? Did he say I am old and Grampy, sleeping in his chair, newspaper heaving up and down on his oversized belly with every breath, is young?
“Why do you think that?” I asked, as I add yet another block to the castle.
“Because Grampy seems like he is 4 and you seem like you are 100.”
Oh, the pain. Oh, the agony. What is he talking about?
“Why does Grampy seem like he is 4 and I seem like I am 100?” I ask, in a calm, controlled voice when I really want to scream and cry.
“ Because you have all those stripes on your face.” He shrugs his shoulders and rolls his eyes to the ceiling as if to say, “DUH!”
Guess I better invest in some more expensive face cream, I think to myself, as I roll on the floor like a Weeble, trying to get on my knees to add another block to the tower. Grampy, in all his youthfulness, snores loudly in the chair.

Grandparents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for grandparents to share stories about the adventure of grandparenting in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about grandparenting, or check out the writing contest for grandparents, quotes about grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, videos about grandparenting, discounts for families, and other resources for grandparents on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your grandchildren (or grandparents), and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.