Questions and Stories about Raising a Family

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that parents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a parent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Raising a Family Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Wellness & Health

In Barbara Abercrombie’s Writing Out the Storm, I read a passage written by Laura: “I love my scar. Scars are tangible proof that we have healed.” I don’t love my scar. In my glass-is-half-empty moments, I see my scar as physical proof of my body’s betrayal, of my weakness, of my lack of control, of my fear. In my glass-is-half-full moments I see my scar as physical proof that I am strong, resilient, and brave.
My scar, the result of a muscle biopsy, is on the back of m

She was a sweet sixteen sitting there as innocent as could be. Thoughts went through her mind as the teacher mumbled away. Not focused on anything really; she was as smart as a whip. Then out flows the blood, a dark deep red. She knew from whence it came, but not sure why it did. Her hands trembling, she sought help. When the teacher asked how, she could not tell.
One day in school was pig dissection day. She was dissecting and her mind and her heart began to race as she began to think l

Who am I? A wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister a friend, health care provider. I wear many hats but there's one that I'm most proud of-that of survivor. Twelve years ago, at the age of 35, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was young, I was scared and I felt alone. After a week of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to deal with this head on. At the time, I was a single mother with a six year old and I had to be strong for him.
There was a mastectomy, radiation, reconstruct

The decision to move a parent, family elder or any loved one to a nursing home can be not only difficult but positively heart rending. You could have doubts about your decision and question its wisdom. You may feel some amount of guilt because of the misconception that nursing homes are for people with families who don’t care for them.

However there is no need to feel guilty. You are by no means abandoning the loved one. Ultimately the decision has to be made based on what is best f

I am an Esophageal Cancer survivor that got the itch to share his journey via a blog a little over a year removed form surgery and having recently being deemed cancer free. It's gotten some good responses to the blog, so I wanted to widen my possible audience. the blog is written mostly in first person. I hope it will or would help cancer patients and even their caretakers or watchers. The address is:

http://bb1364.blogspot.com
--OR--
http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot

We tend to see depression as the enemy assulting us by trying to crush our spirit. Is it the enemy or is it rather a friend whose strength is trying to push us down onto the ground where we are safe to learn to stand again? There is no more safer place to be than on the ground, laying low forced to recognize the bare truths of our own nature.
Our nature with nature, felt again on solid ground.

We are programmed, however to see depression as evil and demonic...an enemy living in

Growing up with a Mother who has bi-polar was difficult. The highs and lows are difficult to ride as a child who doesn’t even know what mental illness is. She loved us, she did some amazing things for us, but there was always a struggle, a strange swing between knitting our entire family sweaters (at least 30 sweaters), and being in bed for days and days on end. I didn’t understand. As I got older, and understood what was going on with my Mother, it took time to forgive those moments from my c

I can feel my ears get hot. My fingertips are numb. No, not just the tips of my fingers, my whole hand feels like pins and needles. Maybe no one will notice. Oh no, now my leg is shaking and hot tears are pouring down my face. It will only be moments before my breathing will come in short gasps and my heart will feel like it is both leaping out of my chest and being crushed from the inside all at the same time.
At 17, I could not verbalize these feelings, all I knew was that it was paraly

Her mother is going to kill me, I thought. The four-year-old girl had come in an hour earlier, shyly trailing her mother. In her short life she had already had anesthesia and adenoid surgery for tonsils and throat infections. She also had hip problems, which is why her mother had brought her to a physical therapy clinic, to a hands-on therapist.

I watched her walk in. She didn't notice much, a little hand holding tightly to the fabric of her mother's skirt. Dwarfed by the six foot

Trying to stay fit, when you have a busy schedule such as work, kids etc. can be really hard. but i have a good news for you its so easy to stay fit from your house without having to worry or always go to the gym , it might be hard or tough but once you can stay fit within the comfort of your own home you start to say i was right. below i will list seven easy buy strict ways you can try to do once in a while so as to stay fit and healthy .
Staying fit and healthy not only puts you at the t

<<Prev  2 of 7    Next>>