Questions and Stories about Raising a Family

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that parents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a parent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Raising a Family Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Safety

My family, consisting of myself, hubby, and two teenage sons, took a long-awaited, long-overdue vacation to Florida in July. Just like in the movie Vacation, it was a road trip full of adventure, a lot of family bonding, and of course, a few mishaps. We spent two days driving to Florida from Ohio, one amazing week in Pompano Beach, one fun filled day in the Everglades, and two days driving back home.

On our first day driving home, we were on I-75 North near Gainesville when all of a

The moment the GOD has created this world and living being, he also created every comfort that is required for them.

But, Every comfort is being misused, distorted and made to work against us by us...

Why because from the stone age, especially the human being is revolving around certain things only, as per Gautama Buddha (Four noble truths)

we crave for the sensuality, we crave for the acquisition of Identity, We crave to prevail and dominate over others a w

About three months ago, my fianccee's 2nd cousin moved in with us. She had been inappropriately touched by her step-dad, and as a 17 year old, giving her some place safe was of utmost importance.

In the meantime, I was driving her to school 3 days a week and allowing her use my vehicle after dropping me off at work, to get to school, and afterwards she would pick me up. My fiancée would allow her to drive her truck on the other two days during the week with a similar arrangement fo

When our first daughter was born she was proclaimed perfect. She did inherit her father’s large German head. But, not to worry. All the more room for what was sure to be her remarkably large brain. She had the characteristic notched earlobes that are a cherished paternal family quirk, but that made her even “more perfect”!

She turned into a chatty two year old that welcomed her sister into the family with little disruption in her life. For me, not so much. I had started on a d

I saw the car barreling towards our car and I remember screaming and hearing the loud metal crashing sound as it smashed into the passenger door where I sat. It seemed like slow motion but at the same time over within a second. My boyfriend, who was driving, noticed that my leg was bleeding. I stared confused because my leg didn’t have a cut on it. All of a sudden a searing pain started in the back right side of my head. I touched it and when I took my hands away they were both covered in

Physical, mental, and emotional safety is the most important creed that a parent must uphold. Any parent knows or will soon find out that ensuring safety is easier said than done. Life interferes. We cannot always control what dangers our children stumble across. The internet, other individuals, and rapidly progressing modern technology has left our children more vulnerable than ever. As parents, we are scurrying to keep up. With the proper technology you can increase the chance that your child

Even as the very young, drug-addicted, and single mother of my only child, I was able to recognize early on that motherhood was never going to the happy cake-walk that I had watched all of the women I knew experience it as being; in fact, I always harbored a very terrifying notion of the chaos to come in my future as a mom. The first few years are a total blur, as I was under the habitual influence of heroin until 2000. After I came back from the dead, however – I can honestly say that I tried

My grandmother is one of over 23 million people in the U.S. who are age 70 or older. Like many, she doesn't want to live in a retirement community. She loves her house and wants to continue living there independently. She's in reasonable health, but I worried about her safety as mobility and health slowly decline. So, my husband and I took a few simple steps to make the home safer and to ensure her well being as she lives independently.

1. Shore up the House
Homes are not

Hello Everyone,
My name is Jean Alexander. I have a new memoir title "Fear my surrounding". This is my first book and it entailed the struggles I endured as a young boy growing up in Haiti. I later traveled to the United States to a new life. I was faced with new challenges and overcame insurmountable odds to discover the reason for my existence.

"Fear my surrounding".
is the story of how a boy managed to overcome insurmountable odds in order to discover the reason for his

When Gregs was twelve years old, three older boys approached him on the playground. Was that Jorge? No, Julian. He couldnʼt remember their names exactly, but he had seen them before. They were the cool boys, the boys you wouldnʼt mind being seen with. Did they really want to talk to him? Their shadows preceded their arrival—growing darker and more intimidating with every step. Gregs twitched his brown mop of hair nervously. His shoulders tightened to hold his short frame as tall as he coul