Questions and Stories about Raising a Family

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that parents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a parent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Raising a Family Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Ethical Dilemmas

The decision to move a parent, family elder or any loved one to a nursing home can be not only difficult but positively heart rending. You could have doubts about your decision and question its wisdom. You may feel some amount of guilt because of the misconception that nursing homes are for people with families who don’t care for them.

However there is no need to feel guilty. You are by no means abandoning the loved one. Ultimately the decision has to be made based on what is best f

It was 24th of December,2012....Someone lost his father who was ailing with cancer...It happened within 3 months of diagnosis..Though he knew that this was about to happen and seemed to be mentally prepared for it,it was too much to take...Father,the person because of whom he got life wasn't with him anymore...He was away,faraway with lord God almighty and he was never going to be amongst them again....A VACUUM which could never be filled...
His father had taught him to be duty minded and

We tend to see depression as the enemy assulting us by trying to crush our spirit. Is it the enemy or is it rather a friend whose strength is trying to push us down onto the ground where we are safe to learn to stand again? There is no more safer place to be than on the ground, laying low forced to recognize the bare truths of our own nature.
Our nature with nature, felt again on solid ground.

We are programmed, however to see depression as evil and demonic...an enemy living in

I’ve often learned things the hard way, thus lessons I’ve learned while being married are no different. Let’s go back to the beginning to help support my point. I had been in the Army for nine years when I met my wife Allegra and made it very clear I was not going to give up my chosen career. Actually, the day we got married actually went like this: I started my lunch break at 11:30 AM, we went to the Court House, got married, and me and my best man (if Court House marriages even qualify him fo

I can't go to a baseball game, or any professional game without crying. Something inside me just snaps hearing that song. You see, I'm an American citizen, but not born here. I was born in Havana, Cuba. To come here my young parents had to stay apart for almost 7 years. My dad couldn't leave when we were given our VISA's. I remember very little of the time when my 23 year old mom, 50 year old grandma and 4 year old me got here. We didn't know the language and didn't have a penny to our names i

Even as the very young, drug-addicted, and single mother of my only child, I was able to recognize early on that motherhood was never going to the happy cake-walk that I had watched all of the women I knew experience it as being; in fact, I always harbored a very terrifying notion of the chaos to come in my future as a mom. The first few years are a total blur, as I was under the habitual influence of heroin until 2000. After I came back from the dead, however – I can honestly say that I tried

“Dad wait we can’t leave the store because you haven’t bought me a toy yet!” Exclaims my six-year old sister, who believes that every store she walks into, she must walk out with some sort of toy. This uncivilized behavior of greedy ungratefulness is most common in young children, but in our society today I have noticed this subtle behavior in most Americans. Especially in this season of giving and receiving, it is easy to forget how fortunate we are, and without realizing it we’ll think that w

When Gregs was twelve years old, three older boys approached him on the playground. Was that Jorge? No, Julian. He couldnʼt remember their names exactly, but he had seen them before. They were the cool boys, the boys you wouldnʼt mind being seen with. Did they really want to talk to him? Their shadows preceded their arrival—growing darker and more intimidating with every step. Gregs twitched his brown mop of hair nervously. His shoulders tightened to hold his short frame as tall as he coul

The tragic shooting at the Newtown school has unleashed a firestorm of controversy, from gun control to mental health services to school security measures. With three children at our local public elementary, I urge everyone to slow down.

We as Americans hit the ground running to change whatever might have triggered a tragedy without taking the time to think clearly and calmly about whether or not something really needs to be fixed.

We might need to re-examine our gun con

It’s a few days after Christmas and the playplace is swarming with parents and children. I’ve been here a few times before and it has, in fact, never been so busy. The layout of the facility is thrilling for kids. Numerous “pretend” areas all have their own sections: a supermarket, a veterinary office, a fire station, a costume shop, a bakery, etc. The back is filled with an indoor playground, complete with pretend tree house and twisty slide. Toys and play equipment litter the space and the ce

<<Prev  2 of 4    Next>>