Questions and Stories about Raising a Family

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that parents have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences as a parent? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Raising a Family Questions and Stories

Having mixed feelings about a close friend who just got married. She had a fairly traditional wedding. A lot of work, time, and money spent by friends and family. Only to find out she will not be legally married for many years down the road. It feels icky that was not disclosed upfront. Am I wrong for those feelings?

We currently have a son, 10 months old and another baby is on the way...
My issue is not so much of lack of trust but lack of respect. I have voiced that I do not appreciate him going out to see his friends late at night. He has his friends come over our place almost every single day during the day time and they tend to stay for very long. I would prefer the guests would leave at the same hour I put our son to sleep but that is usually ignored. Moreover, I get extremely annoyed when he go

The first few years of marriage is the hardest. Add in a baby or two and hard is a serious understatement. Looking back, getting married and starting a family in my early 20’s was not the best decision. At that time, I thought I knew everything and could handle any curve ball thrown my way. As a typical oldest child, I was mature, confident, tenacious, and ‘in it to win it.’ Life I mean….. There was no challenge too high.

What I quickly realized is that being married when you are lit

According to such scientists as Williams, Sawyer and Wahlstrom, there is a number of different types of love. I would like to focus only on five so far. Romantic love is, perhaps, the most known one. Sometimes it is called passionate love. This type of feeling lacks commitment. However, it can be developed over time if both partners will invest enough efforts and patience to build stable relationship. Companionate love seems the perfect one to me. These relations are time-tested and strong; the

I’m happiest when I’m able to forget about myself and become completely immersed in an enjoyable or productive activity. I like to think of it as escaping myself. During this time I’m focused only on the present situation around me and am not worrying about anything to do with myself.

One way I know when I’ve escaped myself is when I zone out or lose track of time. I’m so wrapped up in the present experience that time goes by without me noticing. Another indication of escaping mysel

When my daughter was a born we told my In-laws that we wanted no smoking around the baby.... My Mom pased away due tomnlung cancer so this is something I feel very strongly about... My In-Lwas come down to vist asked if they could watch the baby.. We agreed it would be ok If they did not smoke around the baby .. We got home early to find my mother in-law smoking with my daughter lap.. So my husband again had a talk about how we will not allow that around our babay.. Will needless to say they st

My son Ben got the first of his many Second Chances when we adopted him. His birth parents were high school kids, not at all prepared to assume responsibility for a baby. They placed him for adoption and we stepped forward, promising to give him a stable home, a good education, and all the love he deserved.
He was a challenging child, programmed, it seemed, to test limits. He was suspended for fighting and stealing in 4th, 7th, and 8th grades, but not expelled because the principals thoug

Second Chances: School of Life

I used to have a lot of fear around giving people second chances. What if he were to lie to me again? What if she were to judge me harshly again? I used to try to decide whether to forgive, or trust people in the first place or not, based on whether I thought they were trustworthy. At some point, however, I realized that if I were going to trust others, I had to base my trust on myself, not on them. I learned that we often let each other down even

All believers in life eventually have something happen to them to start to question their beliefs. You ask yourself "How could this happen to me?" or "If God is real why would he let this happen?" and the truth is we've all been there, it doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you real. The day these thoughts rushed through my head was the day I lost my first baby. My husband and I had just started trying for our first baby, that month we were so excited to find out on February 19th that we we

Back in 2003 I had gotten a job at a Kroger chain called QFC in an area of Washington state called Mercer Island. It was a good size island that the interstate I90 came through. It had two QFC's, one on each end, as well as other shops. After working at the North end store for almost a year, one of the main managers at my store appreciated my hard work as a courtesy clerk and offered me a temporary job at a Seattle QFC location to help assist customers with guiding people around during a renova

My fiance and I just relocated to a new state. We have a nice home with an extra room. We are pretty private people but on occasion we have people come over and have a good time. I was surprise when my fiance called me from the hair salon to tell me she extended an invitation to her hair stylist of 6 years to come and stay with us. She wants to open her own beauty shop where we live. I was okay with it at the time and said Okay! Then doubt started to creep in. I told my fiance a long time ago b

Have you noticed that (almost) every blog post includes a list? Undeniably, a popular creative and functional format for delivering succinct messages. Apparently, we can’t seem to focus our attention on more than a few simplified snippets presented in point form. The New Year is a perfect opportunity to generate some new lists, so here goes ‒ my personal manifesto for 2016.

• There is no limit to the amount of time and energy I can dedicate to social networking nonsense such as

Bathtime with my kids reminds me of the old school Battle Ship game. It’s all about moves and counter-moves. Unfortunately, my one year old’s moves are mostly of the bowel type, so, like a good Naval Admiral, I must always have a counter-move ready.

I recently discovered her recurring naval attack when I was bathing both my 3 and 1 year olds together. In order to keep the peace and maintain them in the water long enough to sanitize them, we’ve thrown in a random assortment of toys

What's a good term for my situation?

Existential crisis? Nah, too dramatic.

It could be more of a midlife malaise, only that would imply I'll live to be 104, which would be fantastic. Problem is, if I'm currently peeing every morning in five languid installments, by the century mark I'll need a tasteful prostate pram to wheel around that leathery gland that partially popped free of my body in 2038.

No, I'll just assess this situation using a system to which we g

In a so cacophonic world filled with sensationalism within the news or some quick fame seeking shows, it can be easy to lose ourselves in a personal bubble that can so quickly be popped. The real value of somebody is not waht we accumulate, but how we are or shall be remembered soul wise. Indeed, to be kind and help folks in need, be it in a gesture like buying food or giving a special thank you note or gift of appreciation as small as it is, bring back smiles and even hugs that cannot be boug