No Fear : Explaining To My Kids Their Daddy is in a coma.

Evil Joy Speaks

Seriously - this was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Putting on a brave face and explaining to my four children their daddy was very, very sick. We could go in and see him, but not touch him. He looks like he’s sleeping, and there’s all sorts of funny machines hooked up to him. We can talk to him but he won’t answer.

Figuring out how to be happy to see them when I didn’t have any happiness in me. Figuring out which kids wanted to go in and which wanted to look from outside the door. Looking for the signs in my oldest child - 11 years old - of fear. He was being brave and doing exactly as I said - modeling behavior for the little ones without me asking.

And holding it together myself. Figuring out the right words, right number of hugs and cuddles, and when to back off. Trying to remember the information to give those caring for my children when they left the hospital. Where Mommy stayed. Because Daddy was so sick.

And when he woke up, explaining again how Daddy was still very sick. He had to learn to walk again. He couldn’t handle noise. He wants to cuddle with you but we have to be so very careful. Wash.Your.Hands.

Explaining that now that Daddy is ‘awake’ Mommy is home at night. Crying all the time. Remember how I cry at commercials and movies - well....if Mommy cries then - guess what - Mommy will cry now. And it’s okay to cry. Or not cry.

Telling them Daddy was okay and going to be back to his normal self. Which he is now. And facing my fear that this will happen again.
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

This is powerful piece. Thank you for sharing it.

Nicole LV Mullis
Raising a Family Editor
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:33:37 PM

It' a true testimony to your love and support of your family as a wife and a mom. Thanks for sharing this mpst difficult time on your family's life. God bless.
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 5:24:15 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Your post was very moving and I pray for you and your family. Remain strong, for you, your children and your husband. Thank you for sharing.
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 6:23:48 PM
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the Raising a Family life stage winner for the March writing contest: "No Fear".

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:02:43 PM