The Wonderful Whiteness of The Wait

MariaRose
The snow is pelting my Midwestern town, not spiraling from the skies but plummeting down in sheets. School was let out two hours early in anticipation, a rare move for a community unfazed by anything under four inches. But the roads are bad and getting worse, and there are teenage drivers to be worried about. So students head home from school and parents from work to button down the hatches and begin The Wait.

The Wait is the key period in a snowstorm wherein it is useless to do any shoveling or car-starting or grocery-store-running. The wind whips too fast to make any progress in one’s driveway; the cold temperatures keep even the most committed of snow ball fighters indoors. Even the most audacious of drivers wait to activate their four-wheel drive, and letting the dog out seems a bit like animal cruelty. The entire town essentially grinds to a halt.

The Wait is many people’s least favorite part of the winter weather that blasts us here in the heartland. You can’t be productive, you might not have power, and you’re stuck at home with whatever groceries you had the forethought to buy. But despite all this, I’m a big fan of The Wait. The town is coated in white before boot prints and truck tracks and snow plows turn the gorgeous shimmering piles into somber blobs of gray. The view is incredible – as is the company. Everyone is at home, and nobody’s going anywhere anytime soon, an instance getting rarer and rarer in my two-teenager household. So, when faced with The Wait, we as a family will on occasion pile onto the couch for a Big Bang Theory marathon or sit down at the kitchen table for a game of hyper-competitive Scrabble. Today it was baking chocolate chip cookies.

I don’t know how many more times I’ll get to enjoy The Wait–how many more times I’ll get to sit and watch Sheldon and Leonard’s apartment adventures snuggling up with my dog, how many more times I’ll claim Scrabble victory over my brother with a word like “Jukebox”. I’m a high school junior, and after this winter I’ll only have one more before it’s off to college and The Wait on my own.

On nights like this, I wish it would snow forever.
Comment by shamaker

Ah, you've described the perfect time during a snow! Wish we had snow here in the mid-Atlantic region so we could enjoy the wait ourselves.
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:10:36 AM
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

Beautiful essay. As a Michigander, I can appreciate this "wait".
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:09:54 PM