STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Hosts, Guests and Intruders

etiquetteguy
Summer is a season when people travel to visit friends and family and make new acquaintances along the way. Hosting visitors can be one of life’s most rewarding and greatest pleasures. It also has the potential to be a very stressful and frightening experience. The outcome is ultimately in the hands of the host or hostess, and with some careful and thoughtful planning most of the pitfalls can be avoided. For me, surprise visits are always the most likely ingredients to produce such stress. With a few simple guidelines, be the perfect host or perfect guest, and avoid being the dreaded intruder.

Accurate scheduling seems obvious, but is occasionally left to the last minute causing unnecessary problems. Planning ahead is good for both the host and guest. Summer seems to be the busiest time of year in many respects. Kids are out of school; the weather is warmer and conducive to lots of outdoor activities - sports, barbecues, beach parties, camping, etc. It takes as much time to plan for fun times as it does for business and school appointments. Careful scheduling really pays off. People suddenly have something to look forward to; celebrations and parties are planned; and sometimes distant cousins have the chance to get together, maybe even for the first time.

Surprise visits are usually not welcome. Although some people associate surprises with spontaneity, I consider unexpected guests to be unwanted intruders. The surprise guest is, after all, the antithesis of polite, or well-mannered, This reaction is likely a throwback to my childhood where it was instilled in me to always phone ahead before I was to visit anyone. It’s the total disregard for the other person that sets me on edge. What are people thinking who just drop in without fair warning? I don’t appreciate such interruptions and I don’t expect that anyone else does either. Crashing a party or showing up at someone’s house without being invited is rude and disrespectful. My advice is to avoid this at all costs.

On the other hand, preparing for house guests can be a delightful experience. Guests always appreciate little touches. Flowers cut fresh from the garden, a small bowl of fresh fruit, or a bathroom with fresh towels are always welcoming. Although going to extra trouble comes naturally and appears effortless to some hosts, guests need to remember that their visit alone creates a change in the daily routine, sometimes even a bit of a disruption.

Both guests and hosts should be aware of any allergies or food aversions. Know the difference too. An aversion is an inconvenience; an allergic reaction can be life threatening. I find that the summer garden can provide special seasonal ingredients which, when incorporated into a special meal, can add that something memorable to enhance a lovely meal. People who travel from other parts of the country or from foreign lands especially enjoy local favorites. Here in St. Andrews, for example, steamed lobster, mussels simmered with garlic, wine and freshly chopped tomato seem to be big hits.

If you are planning a party at home and your house guests are from out of town, I think it’s always smart to inform them of any important local news such as recent deaths, illnesses, births, weddings, etc. An informed house guest is likely to avoid inadvertently putting his or her foot in their mouth.

Thankful guests should bring a thoughtful house present. Appropriate host gifts can include specialty foods, nice bottles of wine, chocolates or decorative items or collectibles known to be favorites. I find a colorful bunch of fresh flowers which can be easily arranged is fun. I usually don’t give potted plants because they aren’t really disposable and require ongoing care. If staying for several days, offering to cook a special dinner for your hostess would be a big hit, especially if you have a special talent for cooking.

A small kitchen  appliance might be a useful gift such as a coffee press or tea strainer with an assortment of teas. Think about something in a modest size-a unique wine stopper, decorative lemon squeezer, some small specialty kitchen tool. Of course your gift may be purchased during your stay once you see what your host needs, collects or wants. The length of your stay will also determine the type of gift you give.

Following any visit, a hand written sincere thank you note is a sure fire way to show how much you appreciated the time and trouble to which your host and hostess have gone. I have found a number of local stores that sell fantastic cards for all kinds of occasions. In St. Andrews, Boutique La Baleine seems to always have just what I need for a great card. Hand made cards, available in some stores, cost a few dollars more but they are sure to have a Wow effect, reflective of the time you have just enjoyed with your friends.

Being in sync with one another’s schedule; considering special likes and dislikes; and avoiding unnecessary surprises, all show the respect you have for each other. I can think of nothing more rewarding than a well planned and highly anticipated visit with friends and family as well as the new friendships which often emerge as a result.

Rate this:

Parents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for parents.  It allows people who are raising a family to share stories about the adventure of parenthood in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about raising a family, or check out the writing contest for parents, quotes about parenthood, parenting etiquette, funny videos about kids, discounts for families, and other resources for raising a family on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your family, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy